Tank seperation

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

JayLB

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have 2 betta (males) in 2 tanks. But I would like to put them both in a 20 with a tank divider. Is this ok? Any suggestions on a tank divider because I can’t seem to buy one anywhere so I may DIY it.

Tia.

If you use glass or Perspex that is see through, the fish will see each other and stress and fight. They are better off being kept in their own tanks and unable to see each other.

If you use glass or Perspex that is see through, the fish will see each other and stress and fight. They are better off being kept in their own tanks and unable to see each other.
No I would never use a divider where the would see each other. I would do a full black with some small holes for water movement, but I Wonder would that be ok?

when we used to have a LFS, they put them in a clear plastic divider box along the front top of a single tank ( not much bigger than the lil cups places put them in now ) 5-6 visible through the front glass

so I think the question is not weather you can, but should you??? my own personal opinion is they will be fine... those in touch with their "inner fish" may feel there could be more stress or tension for anything given off of one male ( hormones, etc. )... the other may pick up on being in the same tank water... in the end, do what works for you...

Last edited:
when we used to have a LFS, they put them in a divider box along the front top of a single tank ( not much bigger than the lil cubs places put them in now ) 5-6 visible through the front glass

so I think the question is not weather you can, but should you??? my own personal opinion is they will be fine... those in touch with their "inner fish" may feel there could be more stress or tension for anything given off of one male ( hormones, etc. )... the other may pick up on being in the same tank water... in the end, do what works for you...
I certainly dont want to stress them, but I dont have the space for ALL the tanks in my new home. And I do NOT want to rehome them. </3

I'd probably use something like this...
they have them for 20 highs as well, I was just trying to guess at your tank...
not sure what you're using for filters, but if you had one on each side, it would limit the water transfer... if you thought that would help...

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I'd probably use something like this...
they have them for 20 highs as well, I was just trying to guess at your tank...
not sure what you're using for filters, but if you had one on each side, it would limit the water transfer... if you thought that would help...
Sadly that link is American and therefore I cannot see it. :(

it's a black piece of plastic, with about a dozen holes drilled in it

this is Amazon Canada... would that be better???

this one is black, but has no holes... you could drill a few if you thought it needed

Colin is on the mark here. You cannot keep two aggressive fish in the same tank regardless of dividers. Fish communicate visually, by scent (their sense of smell is amazingly strong) and by phermones and allomones. Fish in the same species communicate with phermones, and fish of a different species responds to allomones. The fact they may not be able to get at each other is not the issue. Keeping any fish in such an inappropriate environment is inhumane to those who understand fish.

Colin is on the mark here. You cannot keep two aggressive fish in the same tank regardless of dividers. Fish communicate visually, by scent (their sense of smell is amazingly strong) and by phermones and allomones. Fish in the same species communicate with phermones, and fish of a different species responds to allomones. The fact they may not be able to get at each other is not the issue. Keeping any fish in such an inappropriate environment is inhumane to those who understand fish.
Fair. I won’t do it then! I don’t want to stress them.

Most reactions

Back