tank question

Lexxa

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I was just wondering how many neons i can have in a 30 g tank :huh: ...i was thinking about 10-13 of them for a school!!! im also thinking of getting some glo-lights too. :D :D do u think the glolights will schoal with the neons??? also in my tank ihave 2 pearl gouramis one dwarf gourami and 2 albino tetras, im needing more action in my tank so im thinking a bunch of neons will be fun to watch. As of now my tank needs some new action for sure.lol and more friends for the other fish. :p :D

I would go with cardinals over neons as they are hardier and are not prone to NTD, should shoal together.

Cardinals are more hardy than neons, but both of them need well established planted tanks to thrive.

Wilder said:
I would go with cardinals over neons as they are hardier and are not prone to NTD, should shoal together.
yea i prefer cardials there bigger and more vibrant..but i want a big school of em..wont i only be able to fit like 6 of them in a 30 g ???? with neons im sure i can put in close to 15, with a few glo-lites :huh: :huh:

They do need a mature tank of six months, if you have a good filter you could add maybe eight cardinals, or get more if you don't get any glow lights.

You could easily put 8 or 10 Cardinals in there IMO. They are not great waste producers, and are happier and more likely to shoal and "display" in larger groups. The important factor is tank maturity and maintenance, they like clean water, and to climatise them slowly. Float the bag for upto an hour, longer if possible, adding a little of your tank water to the bag every 20 minutes or so.
Your other tetra may or may not shoal with them, I have three silver tips that prefer to follow my 8 Harlequins over my 10 Cardinals lol!

Good luck, and enjoy! :)

Don't forget tetra's like mature tanks of six months, you could always use filter media from your main tank and some gravel, if you have no deseases in there.

No less then six usually.

IMO you could easliy have 20-25 carndinals in a 30 gallon if thats all you planed on putting in the tank. You want glo lites so do 12,12. Tetras need to be in a school min. 6.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back