Tank Problems

Curious_george_747

Reaction score
I just set up a 10 gallon tank and when I put the water in it was really cloudy and I only had gravel and a piece of driftwood in there (the person at the fishstore seaid i wouldnt have to soak it in water and it wouldnt cloud the water). The water is cearing up but slowly, do I have to worry about anything?

no it will clear in time :D

EDIT~ the only problem with bog wood is it leaches tannins into the water, this is not harmfull to fish, just makes water a tea colour, some people like this look. :D

carbon will remove stain, or soke bog wood in hot water for a week or so, changeing the water every day. :cool:

Driftwood can turn the water brown if not boiled first but this sounds more like your gravel, did you thoroughly clean it in hot water before adding it to the tank?

i rinsed them pretty quickly...should i just leave the tank and wait for it to clear out or just clean it out?

When I first set up my community tank I bought a piece of bogwood and was told to soak it in boiling water in a bucket (fish only bucket) and once it sank it was ok to put into the tank.

This way it sank to the bottom and their was no discolouration of the water either.

Your filter will gradually clear the water and if you at least rinsed the gravel there should't be anything harmful in there, you should be fine. :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back