Tank On Uneven Surface

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

talisker

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
i'm thinking of buying a juwel 800 110 litre tank and the only space i have left is on top of my desktop ,the worktop is an ikea solid beech but it's not very even so i'm a bit worried about putting a tank straight on top, i was wondering if i was to place a mat of high denisty foam on the worktop and then maybe a board of plywood on top of that for the tank to sit on would that be ok ,or any ideas as to how i can sort it out.
the worktop itself feels very solid it's fixed to a batton on the wall with ikea chromed breakfast bar legs supporting the front and feels very solid so the weight should be ok, i can always add some extra supports underneath if needed.

http://
WRvK9qU.jpg

I don't know how much you weigh but let's say you are a big person, or you are a small person that has a small friend. Basically, 110 litres of water weighs 110Kg plus the weight of the tank -- which is probably going to be around 15kg. So the first thing to consider is, can your desk support the weight? Stand on it and move about, does it move from side to side or back to front? Do you think that with a constant weight it might start to bend over time? If it fulfils these criteria then I would say add a thick piece of plywood and stand the tank on that using either a frame or polystyrene tiles depending on what the tank manufacturer recommends.

I wouldn't risk it. My mate had the silicone tear on one of his tanks where the unit (chest of drawers) he placed the tank on started deforming after a year or two. The bottom of the tank twisted and silicone on back left and front right tore and leaked. Fixed by repairing silicone and placing tank on proper stand he made.

The Juwel tanks are designed to be really used in their stands.

This is what an happen....
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/436687-tank-on-uneven-surface/

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back