Tank Makeover - Amano Style- *complete*

No i dont have one. I just use Chucks calculator thing. I add what that says should give me 20ppm, taking into account the Potassium that gets added from adding the KNO3.

Thats the only thing i cant calculate. From what i've read, people gradually upped their potassium levels until the green water went away. Then they knew what amount would lead to the perfect balance of nutrients.

But there's so many theories regarding green water that i dont think anyone knows much about it.

Paul.

Looks good Paul. Bear in mind that you may need to dose PO4, even with your tap water at 2ppm.

My tap PO4 tests at 5+ppm (2.5ppm as I mix 50% RO with my tap) and I have to dose to keep my tank water levels at 1-2ppm, even with only 2 WPG and slow to medium growth plants.

You have higher lighting and faster growing plants than I so it would be safe to assume your PO4 uptake rate will be higher.

Good to see you've gone down the external filter route. Do you intend still running your internal once the external matures?

ooooooooooook. Just thought i'd dig this old thread up again to show my progress. I lost interest in my tank a few months ago. BUt only recently got back into the swing of things

Went for a new look with some different rocks, new substrate and a whole new level of motivation. :D
The tank is finally getting to look the way i want it.
b.jpg

d.jpg

a.jpg

The tank has been running this way for around 5 weeks and after the initial spell of hair algae i've not had anything else. My cherry shrimp and amano shrimp are doing a fine job. My fert routine is pretty simple. after a 30% water change each week i add 10ml of nitrate and 10ml of potassium. Thats it for the whole week, until the next water change. The stem plants to the right are only there to give an indication to how my fert regime and algae preventive measures are coping. They'll be coming out once the Glosso fully take over.

Hopefully it wont be too long for my Glosso to completely cover the substrate, its almost covered the left hand side which im pretty please about. And my Java moss is pearling like crazy!!

My dreams of nice, simple, relatively low maintenance tank are almost here. No more dam stem plants to trim!! Happy days.

paul

Looks very good - and will look even better when that glosso takes off !
How do you get your rock so lovely and "moss" covered ?

I was wondering about the rocks too???
Those fish look great in that set up too!

That tanks looks good, why did you get rid of the other rock, and why did you get rid of the glosso? did it ever carpet? those other rocks were pretty cool lookin

Good to see you back again Paul, I wondered how this scape was going.

I looks promising, very zen like. Is that your final decision on rock positioning? Personally I feel it looks a little too clustered and central - but I'm no expert by any means, just my taste. Is your substrate sloping from front to back, that would really improve the overall sense of depth, especially as your layout will consist of basically glosso.

Remember that glosso is actually a stem plant and will require a fair amount of maintenance when it overgrows itself too much. Mine is very near that stage already after just 10 weeks. I suppose that is still relatively low maint compared with pruning stems every week.

How long has has this layout been running now? You'll do well not to get any algae with the low plant bio-mass you have.

All the best, I look forward to seeing this progress - another potential contest entry perhaps?

My original plan with the larger rocks was to create a 'tropical island' with simple moss covered rocks and a sandy substrate. I was going to replicate this type of thing.
island25.jpg

But I had a few things happen in my personal life and I lost all interest in my tank, So it quickly became overrun by algae and and just didnt look very nice. I plan on creating the island idea at some point as it would look pretty good and be absolutely low maintenance... but thats for another day.

This aquascape is pretty simple and the look im trying to create is more like a standing stone / worship site, a bit like stonehenge.

The rocks were cheap as chips only £2.50 from B&Q and they look not too bad. I did have another larger rock to the left of the tank but i felt that it was making the tank look unbalanced. Now i'm not sure if the tank looks too empty :/

This is what the tank originally looked like. Now that i've taken the left stone out, everything is more or less central, whic his something i didnt want. The substrate is sloped. In the first pictures i showed, I was looking down at the tank. You can see the slope better in this pic.
CIMG2139.jpg

Should have a better idea about final rock positions when the Glosso completely takes over. I'm just glad my algae is under control. I've got 2.6 WPG and very little plant biomas so to actually get a fert routine that works is pretty good going.

Paul.

edit: Tank has been running for just over 5 weeks. I had an initial spell of hair algae and staghorn algae at the begining, now the tank has been algae free for around 3 weeks. Fingers crossed.

I will want to know how you got your rock green without being over-ridden by algae ;)

I'm not sure, I didnt do it on purpose. It just stays that way. Whether its because my army of shrimp keep it in check or not im not sure.

paul

What type of rock is it ? Is it sandstone ?

Its slate. I only bought two pieces and smashed them up a bit. Far cheaper than the rocks Amano tries to sell up at £100 a pop!!! Mine cost a total of £5 :D

Paul.

Just a quick update... My Glosso is thriving and i have no algae!! :D

Glosso2.jpg

The tank is almost at its completed stage. The only problem is i'm getting bored with it all ready. I think a new challenge may be on the horizon.

almostcomplete2.jpg

Im still not certain whether to add more rocks or keep the centred arrangement. What do you's think?

Paul

ohhh ahhhh this is exciting... that could look absolutly fantastic if it fills out nicely if you can manage it just leave it alone for a few weeks that really does look like the early stages of an amano... if it works i'll be stripping down a tank and stealing your plan... seriously it could look stunning (already looks good but you know what i mean).. love the rocks as well i wouldn't touch a thing

Most reactions

Back