Taking Cory Out - But Should I Keep Some Friends With Him?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

ghostchoir

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
All my levels are at at zero so it's nothing to do with that before anyone asks :)

One of my little cories is showing the same symtpoms the other did before it died - it seems to be stressed, not moving very much, is ignoring the other cories and is being nipped by the other fish (who usually ignore them all completely).

It might not be anything serious but I don't want to take any risks after the last one died.

He can still move around.

I was thinking of taking him out of the main tank and putting him into the large breeding net so the other fish can't attack him. I know that this isn't ideal but I don't have an extra tank and at least this way I can moniter him.

What I'm asking is - should I put one or two of the other pandas in with him to keep him company, or will this make no difference? I know they like to be kept in their little groups and I don't know if it would make him too miserable to be kept in a net on his own.

I also want to buy some of the melafix or something else that will help heal his tail and keep him calm. Again, I don't have another tank - so would it be safe if I did enough to treat the entire tank? (125 litres)

If all your readings are zero, there is something wrong; all cycled tanks should show readings for Nitrates.

If all your readings are zero, there is something wrong; all cycled tanks should show readings for Nitrates.

My thoughts exactly!

also i'd be ver concerned if your pH was 0.

can you please post results for pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, also how long has the tank been running?

panda cories are notoriously delicate so something is obviously upsetting them, it could be that your parameter's are what would be considered fine or normal for most fish but are not ok for panda's, so please can you run some water tests and post the results.

i don't think it would make much difference putting more cories in with him in the net, would just mean they are confined and have even less space so i wouldn't do it.

it's perfectly safe to dose the whole tank with melafix, it's basically just tea tree oil and won't do your other fish any harm.

also in my experiance pandas get stressed quickly and in a breeding net like any other fish he/she will get more stressed and it may be the worst thing to do , a seperate tank (hospital tank ) is the best option but if you do not have that at hand then im stuck for ideas apart from do some water test as other members have said there must be some thing wrong. Hope ive helped a bit :good:

Sorry, I didn't mean literally ALL readings were zero.

Ammonia and nitrite = zero
nitrate = 12.5
PH = 7

I don't have test kits for anything else as I've never needed it!

I think he was just stressed from being bitten! Either way I'm treating the whole tank with melafix now and just keeping an eye on him.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back