Takifugu Ocellatus

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

ox5477

Wet pets make the best Pets
Reaction score
Hey, I've thought about getting one of these guys and just had a few questions. I read in a another topic that these guys are most happy in marine environments and plenty of space to swim. But also read from quite a few responses that they have a high, almost definite mortality rate being that they are wild fish that are captured and thrown into captivity. Just wondering if anyone had any ideas on suitable living arrangements (ie, tank size, tank contents) for this guy so that he will be happy, but also won't go overboard on my budget incase he does die and then I spent all that money for nothing. I know I could just go and buy some other fish to fill up the empty aquarium so it wouldn't really be wasting my money, but the issue is space. My apartment is cramped as it is with the two tanks I have, but I feel I can spare the extra room for a cool little fish like this.

So any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Tagifuku%20Puffer.jpg

This guy is an Animal

The high mortality is almost certainly because people keep them as tropical marine fish. They are, in fact, subtropical estuarine fish. The best results (i.e., where people have kept them and they are still alive) seem to correspond with their ecology in the wild; specifically:

Moderate salinity (~1.010)
Lots of oxygen (use a spray bar or venturi)
Low temperature (~15-18 C)

Raising the salinity to marine levels decreases the dissolved oxygen, as does raising the water temperature. Like all subtropical fish, they are sensitive to low oxygen levels, especially where high temperatures raise their metabolism.

Takifugu species are routinely kept in labs as well as being farmed, so there's no reason to assume that this species can't be kept in captivity. It's simply aquarists haven't realised that these fish need very specific conditions.

Cheers,

Neale

O ok. So he just needs to get a little AC and like a nice bubble bath then? No problem. About what size tank do you think would be good for him just by himself. And do you think it would be a good idea maybe for some rock formations along with a sand substrate? Or would you ex the rock for just dense plants because of the puffers sensitive skin?

J.moss.Fugu.jpeg

Is this ok what this guy has? I mean I read that the skin of puffers are extra sensitive and that a pebble substrate will actually hurt their skin.

O ok. So he just needs to get a little AC and like a nice bubble bath then? No problem.
Not quite that easy. Where are you located? Depending on the time of year and climate, you may have to invest in a chiller. Chillers are extremely expensive, you can very easily spend $400 dollars for a chiller on a mid-sized aquarium, even more depending on your room temperature.

Is this ok what this guy has? I mean I read that the skin of puffers are extra sensitive and that a pebble substrate will actually hurt their skin.
They will need a fine sand substrate for sure. I am not aware whether takifugus are diggers like many puffers, but either way I would not let corse gravel anywhere near a takifugu.

Or would you ex the rock for just dense plants because of the puffers sensitive skin?
That would be a problem with the temperature. Widgeon grass should be fine at that temperature, although the salinity is a bit out of it's liking it still should be fine. Spartinia grass would also be fine, but it is not fully aquatic. (By the way I started a spartinia grass tank). Some of the seagrass species like Halophila engelmannii or Halodule wrightii would be OK at that SG, although the temperature may be just a tad too low, worth a shot though. You could also try some high-end brackish macro algaes such as Ulva lactuca, Chaeto, or Gracilaria sp., although the temperature is probably too low for anything but the U. lactuca.

Not quite that easy. Where are you located? Depending on the time of year and climate, you may have to invest in a chiller. Chillers are extremely expensive, you can very easily spend $400 dollars for a chiller on a mid-sized aquarium, even more depending on your room temperature.
I have actually looked into buying a chiller, and yes, I did almost have to change my underwear when I saw the prices. I don't think ill need one because im up in the north so its cold 75% of the year and that 25% it warms over 75, I turn on A/C and keep the air at about 69. (Don't ask about my electric bills during the summer..... yikes). Anyways, even if I did need one, I'm sure, using my engineering education I could make my own chiller that would work as good as I needed it too.

They will need a fine sand substrate for sure. I am not aware whether takifugus are diggers like many puffers, but either way I would not let corse gravel anywhere near a takifugu.
I was thinking bout putting sand in even if pebbles would have been fine. I think it looks cooler and niether of my other tanks have sand, and I've wanted to use it for atleast one tank. Plus it would be cool to see him all curled up in a corner under a pile of sand and maybe hidden slightly by a rock. Then I go to feed him and watch him just snap out and rip to pieces a worm or snail.

That would be a problem with the temperature. Widgeon grass should be fine at that temperature, although the salinity is a bit out of it's liking it still should be fine. Spartinia grass would also be fine, but it is not fully aquatic. (By the way I started a spartinia grass tank). Some of the seagrass species like Halophila engelmannii or Halodule wrightii would be OK at that SG, although the temperature may be just a tad too low, worth a shot though. You could also try some high-end brackish macro algaes such as Ulva lactuca, Chaeto, or Gracilaria sp., although the temperature is probably too low for anything but the U. lactuca.
I'll prob just stick with a couple fake plants then seeing how theres such a small variety of plants that will live in the enironment that the Fugu likes. I'll just focus on doing a rock formation and maybe if I can find a good one, a hollowed out piece of log.

Just one more question:

I've read in a lot of these threads that puffers like alot of swimming room and dont like to feel crowded. Knowing Takifugu Ocellatus has a max size of about 6 in (15 cm) would it be feasible to keep it in a 20G (~65L) tank or would something like a 30G (~100L) or 45G (~150L) tank be better. Well actually thats kinda stupid to ask cause I know it would be better for him, but I was just wondering opinion from you guys out there, whether you think he would do fine by himself in a 20G (~65L)?

Just one more question:

I've read in a lot of these threads that puffers like alot of swimming room and dont like to feel crowded. Knowing Takifugu Ocellatus has a max size of about 6 in (15 cm) would it be feasible to keep it in a 20G (~65L) tank or would something like a 30G (~100L) or 45G (~150L) tank be better. Well actually thats kinda stupid to ask cause I know it would be better for him, but I was just wondering opinion from you guys out there, whether you think he would do fine by himself in a 20G (~65L)?

Just some random thoughts...

Lose the spiky gravel. Not nice. I'd opt for a 50:50 mix of silica sand and coral sand. That'll be nice and smooth, so the fish can dig, and will also buffer the pH and hardness a bit. Do build some smooth pebbles around the edges of the tank, and ideally plant some plastic seaweeds as well. Pufferfish do best the more complex their habitat is. They need to be stimulated by having places to explore and hunt for food. Puffers don't just forage on the ground but also up and down tall objects (like plants) so adding plastic plants will make things much more fun for your pufferfish.

Making a low-tech chiller isn't difficult. You need a mini-bar fridge and a length of pipe, of the type used to connect canister filters to the aquarium. You drill a couple of holes in the fridge, threat the pipe into the frige and then wind it around ten or twenty times inside so that the water can be cooled down, and then connect it to a canister filter. The idea is that the water is pulled through the fridge by the filter and is cooled down on the way.

Cheers,

Neale

Just to add my tuppence worth,

I see from your photo that you have a glass thermometer in the tank.

We used to have one in our Fahaka puffer's tank until one day she mistook it for a snail and ate it.
Move it to where the fish can't see it or take it out, Martha didn't swallow any glass, but you might not be so lucky ...

brokenthermo.jpg

The thermometer after Martha tried to eat it.

[EDIT] -On re-reading your post I see that it isn't a picture of your tank, but my advice still stands, no glass thermometers!

We used to have one in our Fahaka puffer's tank until one day she mistook it for a snail and ate it.
Move it to where the fish can't see it or take it out, Martha didn't swallow any glass, but you might not be so lucky ...

brokenthermo.jpg

The thermometer after Martha tried to eat it.

That must be a reasonably common occurence, as my fahaka did exactly the same thing.

That must be a reasonably common occurence, as my fahaka did exactly the same thing.
Thats Pretty crazy guys. It's wild that the fish can bite right throught the thermometer and not be phased. If I get this guy I will use digital strips or I will use a plastic cased thermometer which is what I use for all my tanks.Thermometer

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back