Tail disintegrating

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

guppgupp

Reaction score
My fancy-tailed guppys tail is almost down to a stub. I used fluke tabs etc.. Now I just put in human tetracycline 50 mg. into water. My question is: How often do I dose and how much? Is 50 mg. ok? I thought human tetracycline would be more potent as compared to local pet store. He's extremely unusual in color! Do not want to loose this one. Can anyone advise? He is in hospital tank. Temperature: 80 or slightly higher. What are my options? Which meds. could and should I try? I am also salt dipping...Email or respond at this site. Email: [email protected]

This should have been posted in the Emergencies forum but as I can't move it, it'll have to wait for Davy or William to do it.
Anyway first change the water. I wouldn't use Human Tetracycline. You could try using Melafix, Maracyn-Two, Maracyn, Acraflavin, MethyBlu, there are a number of remedies available from you lfs
What caused your guppies tail to get so short and how long has it been like this?
It helps to know the cause of this so to prevent it happening again.
What other fish are in the tank the guppy was in?
what are the Ph, nitrite, nitrate, ammonia levels etc.
Is the filter to powerful?
Is the fish showing any other symptoms apart from a missing tail?
In the mean time have a read of this
Tropical Aquariums/fishhealth/finrot.htm

Yep, sounds like a really bad case of tail rot. If pos get it out into a seperate tank, make the water quality as perfect as possible, the treat with the above products, I dont advise using human based products, theres usually something extra added that fish don't like. :D

Most reactions

Back