Syd's out of his coma

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Phil Fish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
All of a sudden Syd woke up this morning a different fish. Instead of laying on a floating plant half dead he was swimming around his hospital jar all mister casual and begging for a snack. He also now enjoys chasing the tiny bubbles from the air stone for keeping his water agitated and oxygenated. Is this a miracle?

Just to see what else he would do I stuck the end of another thermometer I have just below the surface of the water and he went after it following it around as I moved it. He got mad and attacked it. I am not sure if my eyes are bad but it looks like the swelling in his belly has gone down a little too. As I type this it's been hours later and he's still gently swimming around checking things out. He definitely has a lot more strength today. He's still not 100% though.

Anyhow I am not feeding him today since I don't want to overfeed him and cause digestion problems and more bloating. His waste is still discoloured. Tomorrow he will get fresh frozen bloodworms since right now he needs a high nutrition diet. I fed some to my other two Bettas and they lost their minds...haha!

Anyhow I hope he's improving.

Last edited:
that is because you added a sponge filter, i told you it only need a sponge filter and a filter, but a sponge filter will sort of work for now, just as in barely for a week...

that is because you added a sponge filter, i told you it only need a sponge filter and a filter, but a sponge filter will sort of work for now, just as in barely for a week...

No he is still in a temporary bare bottom small hospital tank. Bettas are ok without a filter and just an air stone as long as you keep up with daily water changes. Again only temporarily. I don't know where you got the idea I put a filter in his 1.5 gallon bowl.

Of course in the long term a larger tank with filter is best and he will be moved to one soon if he keeps getting healthier. I have everything needed to set up a new larger tank except the tank itself. It"s up to him now. I am hoping the fresh bloodworm diet helps.

Even my Bettas in their larger filtered tanks get 50% weekly water changes and gravel vacuumed without fail. So far their water tests in the acceptable parameters. My Veiltail has been in his filtered/heated 5.5 gallon tank for over 5 weeks now. I understand your concern and know that a lot of people think Bettas can live in a 1 gallon bowl without anything except a plant and no water changes.

I am not one of them.

Good to hear he seems better. Monitor him over the next few weeks and see how he goes.
Good water, a clean environment, a varied nutritious diet and a little luck goes a long way when keeping fish :)

Make sure you keep up the water changes when using frozen foods like bloodworms or prawn. They cause huge amounts of ammonia and can cause major water quality issues in unfiltered tanks or small volumes of water. however, they are good foods and will be appreciated by the fish as long as the water is clean. :)

Tomorrow he will get fresh frozen bloodworms
Give him Daphnia instead of blood worm, Blood worms should not be fed to Bettas with constipation problems.

Daphnia has a mild laxative effect while blood worm exacerbate the constipation.

Good to hear he seems better. Monitor him over the next few weeks and see how he goes.
Good water, a clean environment, a varied nutritious diet and a little luck goes a long way when keeping fish :)

Make sure you keep up the water changes when using frozen foods like bloodworms or prawn. They cause huge amounts of ammonia and can cause major water quality issues in unfiltered tanks or small volumes of water. however, they are good foods and will be appreciated by the fish as long as the water is clean. :)

Thank you! Yes I assume any left over food can cause ammonia issues and try to make sure my fish eat everything before it hits the bottom. However I also vacuum their gravel every week too.

As for Syd I use a turkey baster to remove any fish and food waste from the bottom of his jar with his daily water change. Maybe he doesn't have Dropsy and has some other issue. He is also trying to recover from some sort of fungus. If I can get his immune system working properly he can fight it better. He's a tough little guy that's for sure.

What are you feeding him?

When I feed my Bettas, I take 1 pellet I pre soak it in a teaspoon of tank water for 2 minutes then I gently place it on the water wait for my fish to finish it then I give him a second pellet when thats eaten I give him the 3rd, Nothing makes it to the bottom.

No he is still in a temporary bare bottom small hospital tank. Bettas are ok without a filter and just an air stone as long as you keep up with daily water changes. Again only temporarily. I don't know where you got the idea I put a filter in his 1.5 gallon bowl.

Of course in the long term a larger tank with filter is best and he will be moved to one soon if he keeps getting healthier. I have everything needed to set up a new larger tank except the tank itself. It"s up to him now. I am hoping the fresh bloodworm diet helps.

Even my Bettas in their larger filtered tanks get 50% weekly water changes and gravel vacuumed without fail. So far their water tests in the acceptable parameters. My Veiltail has been in his filtered/heated 5.5 gallon tank for over 5 weeks now. I understand your concern and know that a lot of people think Bettas can live in a 1 gallon bowl without anything except a plant and no water changes.

I am not one of them.
i said a sponge filter will sort of work, and i also said that because you added the sponge filter that your betta is doing a bit better, i only said the filter part because the filter is better than the sponge filter, but a sponge can still do for a little bit.

All of a sudden Syd woke up this morning a different fish. Instead of laying on a floating plant half dead he was swimming around his hospital jar all mister casual and begging for a snack. He also now enjoys chasing the tiny bubbles from the air stone for keeping his water agitated and oxygenated. Is this a miracle?

Just to see what else he would do I stuck the end of another thermometer I have just below the surface of the water and he went after it following it around as I moved it. He got mad and attacked it. I am not sure if my eyes are bad but it looks like the swelling in his belly has gone down a little too. As I type this it's been hours later and he's still gently swimming around checking things out. He definitely has a lot more strength today. He's still not 100% though.

Anyhow I am not feeding him today since I don't want to overfeed him and cause digestion problems and more bloating. His waste is still discoloured. Tomorrow he will get fresh frozen bloodworms since right now he needs a high nutrition diet. I fed some to my other two Bettas and they lost their minds...haha!

Anyhow I hope he's improving.
Yay glad to hear he is doing better again this poor guy has sure been through alot and pulled through he has a strong will

Most reactions

trending

Back