Swollen Female Dwarf Gourami

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Pysgodyn

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've kept tropical fish for two years now (and was helped a lot by TFF at the beginning!) - I've had a relatively successful tank, but recently (in the last few months) I've lost 3 male gouramis - I'm left with 4 females and one male (which I know is not ideal).

However, I fed them this morning, and I've just caught a glimpse of one of the females "head on" - she looks like a puffer fish!! :crazy: None of the others do, they look just as flat as usual.

What do you think's going on?? :/

Please help!

This is really bizarre.

I just did my evening meal, which includes an amount of mini pellets which my female dwarf gourami LOVES - i mean she ignores ANYTHING else and goes hunting for them.

half an hour later, they were still there in the tank. worried for her, I hunted her down and found her in a very planted section. I got a head on and she is exactly as you describe - even more so on one side.

I saw the male n female "dancing" the other night over the gravel, I figure she is getting ready to pop some eggs. but im going to have to keep a close eye on it as it is a little worrying too.

Is it just the "organ" sack bit of your fish that is swollen? That is what mines is like. Im trying to get photos right now, but where she is hiding its very very difficult.

Nope. She was ALL swollen. Just like a puffer fish. Now she's lying at the bottom of the tank. Dead.

:-(

sorry to read of your loss. mines is still swollen as well, thinking it may not be eggs.

Sounds like dropsy. I'm very sorry to hear that you lost her. It's a very sad thing to watch.

dgwebster, I'd begin treating your fish immediately. The disease acts rather quickly.

my female is definately in the mood. you shoud see the nest the male has been building all day.

Urgh. I don't know what's wrong with my tank at the moment.
There's another gourami lying (still alive) on the bottom of the tank. Definitely not healthy. But not swollen like the former...

mines is still a bit swollen too, but not changed any at all. im just wondering if she is meant to look like that nw?? a wee bit fat maybe...

the male is still on a huge nest building activity, however i may have to destroy it, its starting to interfere with the filter.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back