Suspected case of white spot

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

William

TFF Founder
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Today I just noticed on one of my guppies (I have had them since Friday) a white spot on the lower and upper jaw. It is the only one with this sympton.

All the other fish are fine. Which medication do you reccomend and how contagious is it. The tank was cycled when I put them in. The other inhabitants are 6 platies and 1 pleco. I have had the platties for 3 weeks and got the pleco 3 days ago along with the guppies.

Thanks a lot

William

Bump the tempature right up into the 80's, this should catch it if it's white spot.

It is very contagious so you'll soon notic if it's right white spot. If so get w3c (I think it's called) It's the best in the market around here. Treat as per instructions. But putting the temp up will help more than anything. look here for why. White Spot

Bad news today the guppy with the white spot on his lower and upper jaw has died :( one other guppy although with no white spots is starting to swim in a weird way. Is this a sign of it?

I will buy some treatment today.

Thanks for your help

William

No.
The sign of white spot is "white spots"
I've not come across any fish thats died that quick from white spot. It sounds like a bad batch from the shop.
Does the white bit look like fungus :what:

Hi,

I went to a good lfs!! I FOUND ONE WOOHOO!!! They said that white spot would be more prominent over the fish and the fish would not die so quickly.

They said what you said and they also said that guppies these days are very weak because of the way they have been bred.

They gave me some aquarium salt which I have put into my tank and they tell me that this will help as the fish will really like it :)

William

No I had no salt :(

Things seem good now

William

ok :)

I hear that neon tetras can't live with salt. Is this true ?

I would like some you see 8)

William

Neon Tetras don't like salt at all. It can burn them and or kill them. They are very sensitive to salt. Rose 8)

Most reactions

Back