Supercoley's Diy Led Luminaire Mk Iii

StunningĀ 
good.gif

Many thanks. It is still working but the 18 LEDs proved way too fast growth. Not algae problems but pruning every other day is not my thing :)
Ā 
I am now running it with just the front and back rows on and it is still growing pretty fast.
Ā 
I should add just to address the concerns of MDF swelling. The acrylic paint seems to have done it's job of sealing the MDF very well. There is no swelling. The only thing I have had to do is wipe some mould off the bottom of the inside rails once. It was on the surface only so wiped straight off with no stain.
Ā 
IMG_1380.JPG

Ā 
IMG_1382.JPG

Ā 
IMG_1384.JPG

Still looking abosultely fabulous :nod:
Ā 
A quick question, sorry if already answered in earlier posts, is the lid on that tank acyrlic?
Ā 
If so, what thickness is it and does it bend under the heat of led and moisture from tank water?
Ā 
Just that i had issues with acyrlic tank lids, though was only 6mm thick and that bends under the heat of lights and water moisture :angry: made it look ugly.
Ā 
Thinking a thicker acrylic lid would work better but ...how thick is too thick on a small 1 x 1 feet nano tank, that was another of my issue as well.

Looks at least 10mm, given that the lights are 12mm. There's also a big difference between cell cast and extruded acrylic for how well it does under heat. A lot of the thin stuff is extruded and bends like crazy.

yes, I figured does look like either 10 or 12 mm thickness, sometimes pics can be misleading ;)
Ā 
But I didn't know there are different types of acrylics, So your mentioning about cell cast and extruded acrylic, google time methinks, great tip.
Ā 
:good:

It is acrylic. Ā made an 8mm one for my little 30 litre and that bent so with this one I went for 12mm.............Yes it has bent. Ā If you look where the 2 pieces meet in the centre the lift up a little and the same at the ends.
Ā 
It isn't from the heat of the lights. Ā The Luminaire one is the same thickness and has the heatsinks 2mm from it and it has hardly bent at all. Ā The bending is from the moisture and humidity. Ā It serves it's purpose though and keeps kids toys from going swimming.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back