Sunken Belly

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

What type of fish is it.
Those type of symtoms can also point towards, bad water quality, toxins, ph shock, parasites.

Take a look here.
http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/management/Lawler_some_signs_of_sick_fish.html

Hi wilder
It was for the koi i saved, i have sorted it now tho, i have added salt over the past 3 days bringing
the salinity up to 0.3% and she has calmed down quite alot, she still abit skittish but no where near
as bad.....she is not eating tho any suggestions? Ive soaked tetra wheatgerm sticks in garlic but still not eating. :sad:

Also back to my original 1st post.
Not one more fish in my community tank has come down with the sunken belly etc, they all seem perfect.
So i have a question.
Not long before sunken belly outbreak in my community tank, i purchased some bloodworm pellets for tropicals off ebay!!
link here....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180365762752

And not long after eating these i had my very 1st outbreak and unfortunately ALL the fish involved have now passed away!
So could it be possible that the fish that passed away had caught something from them pellets? and the rest of the tank did not?
To me this seems possible but im not 100% sure.

As usual any help much appreciated.

Regards
Scott

Try her on some foods she likes. Like bloodworms or brime shrimp.
I only used frozen foods as freeze dried can lead to constipation and swim bladder problems.

Was the bloodworms out of date.
Fish can get food poisoing.I won't feed dried blood worms they cause bloating, constipation and swim bladder.

What symtoms did the fish show after feeding the blood worms.

Hi wilder
When i fed them bloodworm pellets there was nothing unusual in the following 3-4 days then around 5-7 days
the sunken belly and lathargic/weird swimming started and 1 of my glowlight tetras had definately swim bladder
problems and ended up dying, all this started after feeding them the bloodworm pellets.

The pellets came in a clear sealed bag kind of like a sandwitch bag with no dates or nothing.

I have not fed them with the pellets since i still have the whole bag.
i have recently changed to frozen bloodworm/brine shrimp/daphnia mix cube blocks.

So do you think its possible them symptoms and the fish dying was due to the pellets?

Im kind of thinking it is now.

Regards
Scott

I would throw the pellets away.

Had you added any new fish recently, before feeding the pellets.

Once you have finished the course of internal parasite med you will need to back up with a bacterial med.

Hi wilder
yea im gona throw them in the bin for defo.
I did add some penguin tetras about 3 weeks before the outbreak but i did quarantine them for 2-3 weeks before hand.

Ive found a great deal on sera nematol ...i havnt seen it this cheap anywhere.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p4012.m38.l1312&_nkw=sera+nematol&_sacat=See-All-Categories

i will backup with bacterial med after using internal parasite med. Any suggestions which is best?

Regards
Scott

Not sure how much the med cost. I suppose 9.99 nothing if it makes your fish better.

Anti internal bacteria med by interpet.

Let me know how your fish get on.
Good Luck.

Hi wilder

Your correct £9.99 is nothing to help/keep them happy and healthy.

And i have an internal bacteria med by interpet so i will use that.

I'll keep ya updated with how they get on. :)

Main tank at the mo is real good so fingers crossed.

Regards
Scott

Scott,

Just read through this post after you replied to my "guppy looking like crap" post. The instructions on the website for Sera Nematol say to cover the tank and take the carbon filter out. Be sure to do that. While I treated my guppies with levamisole - for camallanus - I covered the tank up, kept the lights off and took out the carbon.

I checked on my fish often. The only deal was I NEVER found camallanus threads at the bottom after the treatment. Either it didn't work OR none of the other fish were infected enough at the time for any worms to come out. The fish who I culled today didn't have any threads hanging out.

Best of luck with your tank.

Hi GuppyGoddess

Many thanks for your reply.

I have looked into the sera nematol instructions and im greatful for your help, it all helps when we all help each other.
At the end of the day we are all keeping fish and some differently than others, and shared knowledge is by far best the help to recieve.

I do find it strange tho how you never found anything... either from the fish or at the bottom of the tank.

Anyway best of luck with your setups.

Regards
Scott

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back