sump plumbing

The system I desribed will kepp the whole lot fine so long as the drainiage to the sump can handle at least as much as amount pumped by the return.

E.G.

suppose you have a 600 gallons per hour pump.

so long as your sump drainage (i.e. a durso standpipe or other such equipment (overflow) to drain water) can handle 600 gallons per hour or more you're fine.

look at this way:

your pump is off. there is 0 gph coming up from the sump which means that there is 0 gph going back. easy

suppose the valve i half for the valve. there is now 300 gph coming up . however, the whole system was fine before this extra water. now all of that extra 300 gph is going to flow over the weir or into the overflow and flow into the sump.

So, essentially, however much is pumped up from the sump will be the same as that is drained back down (unless you get blokages or other such problems).

I hope that clears up the problems.

it does a little bit i'm sorry i'm not getting this but i want to do this right and. I don't think i'm using an overflow box i'm just going to juse regular siphon via PVC. i'm very confused on how to plumb these up without a drilled tank.

If you just have a siphon draining the tank then there is a problem when the power goes - as no doubt it will some day, and when you aren't there.

the problem is that you need to be able to stop the siphon when the power goes out to stop all of your tank draining into the sump. By placing a hole in the drainpipe just under the water level you would achieve this. However if the power comse back on and the siphon is broken then you will end up trying to pump the sump into the display (mini-flood) and will dry out the sump and return pump.

Hence why it is general practice to use either a drilled tank or an over flow box (the overflow box is set to take water from the top of the tank so if power goes it stops draining quite high- however it keeps the siphon so that when the power comes back on it sontinues to drain). A google search should give you loads of designs for a custom overflow.

No worries, hope I helped a bit. ;)

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask me. I had to learn the plumbing a little bit the hard way (read water on the floor... :fun: )

Andy

Most reactions

Back