Sump For Freshwater (Malawi) Tank

elisew

I don`t count sheep to get to sleep, I count fish
Reaction score
After having looked for some examples of how a sump is set up and what media is used, I found very little info around to help me set mine up. So I decided to put some info together myself to hopefully help others out who might be considering the use of a sump instead of the normal external filters.

It`s still early days for me using a sump system so I apologise if anyone asks 'technical' questions that I possibly won`t be able to answer. Anyway, here`s the details regarding the set up of the sump that is running on my 389L Malawi tank:

I`ve taken some photos of the Sump so that it`s easier for people to understand what media is being used and how the whole thing is setup:

The Sump has 4 chambers and is filled with the following media:

Chamber 1: Course Sponge that has been cut to fit snugly so that all areas are filled.
(Chamber 1 drains through to chamber 2 at the bottom)

Chamber 2 has Jap matting cut to fit snugly
(Chamber 2 drains into chamber 3 at the top)

Chamber 3 has netting sacks (like onion sacks) filled with Alfagrog (Volcanic rock which is very inert and soon colonises with beneficial bacteria)
(chamber 3 then drains into chamber 4 at the top). There is also a 200W Rena Smartheater in chamber 3

Chamber 4 holds the pond pump (Ocean runner 3500lph) which returns the water back to the tank via a pipe that is fitted in the cabinet just above the sump (pic below). I also have another 200W Rena Smartheater in chamber 4.

This is the weir where the water drains from the tank and down into the sump:
Weir.jpg

This is the sump:
Sump.jpg

This is the return pipe from the pump back to the tank:
Pumppipe.jpg

This is the outlet pipe into the tank:
SumpOutlet.jpg

Here are some pictures of the media used in the sump:

Jap matting:
jap-matting.jpg

Netting sacks & Alfagrog:
onionbag.jpg

alfagrog.jpg

This is the same pond pump that is running in the sump, it`s an Ocean Runner 3500lph pump:
oceanrunner-pumps.jpg

Wow, If i ever need a sump, i know what guide to follow. That water is Crystal clear. :good:

Wow, If i ever need a sump, i know what guide to follow. That water is Crystal clear. :good:

I have to say that the filtration is really good, it`s nice having lovely clear water but I`m not sure I`ll be saying the same once the Malawi are in there tomorrow though :unsure: :lol:

Where do you get this "Alfagrog" ???

I bought all of the media from a company called East Riding Koi Co, the breeder who I`m buying my fish from referred me to them as he uses them all the time. They`re seem really nice and friendly.
The jap matting was the most expensive thing on the order but considering the amount I got and how long it lasts it works out ok I suppose, it`s just the initial payment that seems a fair bit.

I`m not sure if it can be bought in smaller bags but the Alfagrog came in a 15kg sack, which sounds like a lot but looking at the amount in the sump it`s about right :) :

im lookin at doing this to my new tank, im lookin at doin my
chambers like this -
#1 alfa grog with coarse foam on top
#2 bio balls with medium foam on top
#3 lookin at making this a planted area with plants that dont need co2
#4 empty
#5 filter floss into #6 return pump

Most reactions

Back