Sump filtration systems

ted

Reaction score
I now have my sump filtration system running and my only regret is that I did not try it years ago. The water quality is spot on and the bit I like is that partial water changes are easy and do not disturb the fish.

My tank is 4 ft X 15 inch X 18 inch and the sump is 2 ft X 18 inch X 18 inch I had it built in glass by Wharf Aquatics at PInxton in Derbyshire. I am using a Rio 1400 as my sump pump so I have a good flow rate that I can easily reduce by means of a T piece and valve that diverts some flow to recycle in the sump unit.

At present I have left the under gravel filter plate in place but have reduced the Alphagrog to a minimum (suitably cleaned) and have removed the power heads. If I end up with a mucky floor I intend to reverse flow the u/g with one of my smaller powerheads. Another bonus is that all the wires and heaters are now out of sight as I have them in the sump unit.

With the absence of u/g filtration I might even start having plants in my tank again ! :nod:

I just completed making my sump with a wet dry filter. Are you interested in buying or making one? If you plan to buy one, it is a lot of money. Making one is not too difficult, but is rather time consuming, but also very rewarding. I've posted some pics in the pic section if you are interested in looking. if you have any questions on building them just ask, i went through a lot of trial and error so i can help you in making some wise decisions if you plan to make one yourself.

I am going to run a sump on every large tank I own as soon as I can come up with a cost effective overflow box alternative.

that will be drilling then GL, :lol: saying that i have an over flow box on my new tank i am in the process of setiing up and i reckon you could easily make one!

The part that goes inside the tank if you could just use a few pieces of acrylic in the same way you would for a weir just with a raised bottom, then all you need is to make a similiar box structure on the outside with a hole in the bottom and a standpipe for the water to go through then you just need a piece of piping to create the syphon

Whacky, the science behind the building is simple. IT is the price of the material that is ridiculous. To buy the acrylic would still make it silly pricey. I think I have a solution involving PVC pipe.... :nod:

You will have to let me in on your plan when you perfect it GL, i have had a few ideas my problem comes when im not around to restart the syphon

Most reactions

Back