Sump and canister filter

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Paul Robbins

Reaction score
Cna anyone help me understand what the difference is between a sump and a canister filter?

I've read here that the canister filter is a breeding ground for Nitrates but I thought that was the point in the bacterial conversion between nitrate and nitrite.

Thanks

Paul

Usually the live rock handles the nitrogen cycle, taking care of the ammonia and nitrites.... and then pockets of anaerobic bacteria in the sand convert the nitrates into nitrogen and outgas it. With a wet/dry filter, you miss that last step... or at least drastically slow it down. If you have your tank stocked wiith enough live rock, you really shouldn't need any other source of bacterial filtration.

Edit: oops, didn't answer the original question.

A sump is like a canister filter in the way that it's plumbed and that you use it for filtration, but that's about it. Most people have sumps with mineral mud, caulerpa, mangroves, etc to help in the de-nitrification thing.... and as a place to put heaters, skimmers, etc. Obviously, with a small closed canister filter, you can't do that.

In freshwater tanks its common knowledge that the filters used can reduce ammonia to nitrite and then onto Nitrate. However this simply builds up in the tank and eventually the only way to get rid of it is with partial water changes. However, in the marine world we have the added bonus of a secret weapon... Liverock. This rock will change nitrate to Nitrogen (which is harmless... nitrate is dangerous in high quantity).

Sumps work ina similar way to canisters in such a way that they are external and pump water back into the tank. They also act as a refugium for pods and seasquirts etc. But that is where the similaritys end.

Sumps are usualy lit (cannisters can be lit) and this promotes macro algae growth for nutrient export. Sumps also have far larger volums of water (or they can have if so wished) and this increase water stability. I have a 100gallon tank with a 35 gallon sump.. not many 35 gallon cannister filters out there :p With the sump being lit 24 hours per day this also helps keep the PH stable at night because the tank still have a lit period in the sump that doesnt disturb the fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back