Substrate

akitty6552

Reaction score
Ok...let me know what you all think.
I want a cheap alternative with substrate. I was thinking of going with white playground sand. Would this be harmful to a flounder or discus fish? Also, does anyone know where I could get it in black or gray? Can plants survive in this?

I have 3 tanks with sand and plants do really well in this. The trick is to stick your fingers in it every now and again to stop it compacting or allowing poisonous gases or chemicals to build up, which can happen. I think play sand may be ok but you would be better to wait and see if someone else knows the definitive answer to that.

You can get black sand - Tahitian black moon sand but I believe it is pretty expensive, so if you are looking to fill a large tank, it will cost you. I have just set up a tank (2 weeks ago) with black geosystem gravel,as an alternative, which looks great and my plants are doing fine so far. :nod:

Play sand should be fine. I've used it in a few of my tanks, and I have never had a problem. Just make sure you wash it well! Otherwise you may get a pretty cloudy tank.

all of our main tanks are now playsand - fish love it - Plecs, corys and loaches dig about in it looking for food - its great :)

it should be good for flounder, though I would not mix them with discus. Yes plants can grow in it. There are blackl sands, though I have never seen grey sand.

The black stuff usually costs alot of money though, about $1 per lbs.

also, make sure that the sand will not raise the Ph up to much, or actually not at all, as you know the discus need the low Ph. Some play sand is actually aragonite (sp).

Most reactions

Back