Substrate Substrate Substrate!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

kat and james

Fishaholic
Reaction score
ok so what i want to know is what is a 'nice' gravel type substrate (quite fine but not sand) that is also cheap.. just calculatd how much we need for the new tank and it will be approx 73kg.. and taht is if is is only 1.5inch deep.. :blink:

also how deep SHOULD the substrate be???

Mine id different for every tank I have, it depends if you plan to grow plants in it, 1.5 inches is fine really. Mine range from about 1.5" in the coldwater tank to about 4" sand in the lobster tank.

I give the lobster more coz he digs a wee 'viet cong' tunnle system but Im sure there is a recomended level but I think it would depend on what the substrate is but with fine gravel Id say you're fine.

If you don't have live plants, you really only need 1/2" or so. For plants, 1" to 1.5" is fine. I'm not sure what the gravel is that your looking for although Petsmart sells some pea gravel that I like. It's tiny, roundish natural colored stones, kind of like river rock but small.

sorry, I read your post wrong, I thought you were saying you HAD fine gravel.....fine gravel is a good happy medium, Ive kept every fish on gravel until recently.....sand looks good but its a hassle, I only keep my blue lobster on sand but he doesnt make much mess but I dont know if I could be bothered with the bigger tanks with fish in......its looks great but its more work.

I bought some really fine Gravel at Aquajarden in Southampton.Idont know if you have that shop in Devon? :D

ahhhh so thats where u go Silverlady... haven't been there yet, gonna check it out at the weekend! :D

Ibought most of my Fish there,but the selection is not enormous.Ihavn`t lost any fish from there,except through my own fault :*)

sorry it took so long to reply.. birthday stuff this weekend!! anyways, been looking at different substrates on the net, and there is so much to chose from. i definatly don't want sand, like you said big mick its too much hassle.

we have some pebbley type substrate at the mo (in fact it sounds very similar to the pea gravel that rdd1952 was talking about), it's quite nice, but we would like something a little smaller again, as we have loaches who like to dig about.

we did find some polished amythyst online, which looks amazing, but itll be expensive (and we can't see it to know whether it will look totally cheesy.. or how big the individual bits are) any one seen this stuff.. or have this stuff.. what is it like?

yes we would like plants in there, so i reckon we'll make it about 1 inch and slope it towards the back of the tnak, where most of the plants will be! we are also wanting to put a few small airstones under the gravel, so we do'nt want anything that will shift too much with the air movement....

the light in the tank is good, 2 x beauty light, and 2 x gro light, but we are trying to figure out if a darker substrate will make the tank look too dark!

i just want a basic idea of what is around, looks nice, and is cheap.. just ideas at the moment!! :p

Most reactions

trending

Back