What's new

Substrate moving during water change

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

neoyyf

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Since restarting the hobby, i am using buckets to do water changes until i can find an alternative way (dont want to get a python because of the water wasted when emptying and i have a weird kitchen tap so cant use a hose without finding the correct connection size to attach tap to hose)

It is not a big tank so everything just moves like a whirlpool when i refill. I tried the bowl method, didnt work :( I have been putting off rescaping because of this issue. It seems so simple but i cant find a solution.

My substrate is fine about 3mm inert grey/black sand

Last edited:
I use a bucket on my two smallest tanks. I fill the bucket, adding the required drops of the conditioner, then use a plastic jug/pitcher made for juice, it holds about 1 liter or a bit more. I dip this in the bucket, and pour the water through my hand into the tank. My hand breaks up the direct flow and it dissipates.

Another method is to place the bucket at or above the level of the tank, and use a hose to siphon. This works if you can sit the bucket of water securely on something to avoid it tipping.

Hey Byron, thanks for the reply! I will try the hand method but i have small hands so hope it will work for me!

Found a foolproof way. I pour the bucket of water into a colander with holes and it works really well. I watched videos from George Farmer when learning to aquascape and saw him using this method

Attachments

• E41B5740-9822-469C-9004-8F8A228ED130.jpeg
    E41B5740-9822-469C-9004-8F8A228ED130.jpeg
    124.7 KB · Views: 63
I use a home made colander - a 170 g yogurt tub with lots and lots of holes stabbed in with a knitting needle. I did try a colander similar to your photo but for me it just got too heavy.

All brilliant ideas, me I just pour the water in real slow from a bucket, you can empty a 10 liter bucket in 5 seconds or 5 minutes.

When I do the big tank it takes me 40 minutes to pump 200 liters of water back into it, I could use a faster pump but that would disturb everything.

I can't pour the water in straight from the bucket, I'm not tall enough to lift the bucket that high and still keep it under control. The top of the tank is level with my shoulder so I'd have to lift the bucket level with my head to pour it in. I just put the bucket on a tall stool and use a jug to ladle the water through the yogurt pot.
And don't suggest standing on a step-stool because I am so clumsy I'd just fall off it :D

I was going to suggest something safe like a few books. LOL

I'm using large storage tubs and a cheap pond pump to change water. When I'm pumping water back into the aquarium to refill, what I do is place a piece of filter foam (basically a pre-filter piece) over the pipe to disperse the flow going back into the aquarium. I'm using very fine sand substrates and I've not had any issues with it being kicked up even at high flow rates!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back