Sturdy shelving for fish tanks (Uk only)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Ieesha99

Reaction score
Hello Iā€™m looking for a black metal sturdy shelf that can hold 2-3 tanks. Iā€™ve seen the ones what have the mdf boards but Iā€™m worried about the boards going moldy as we have recently had damp issues in the house. Can anyone recommend anywhere that sell all metal shelving ? Thank youu

the first thing you need to do is to identify the size and weight of the tanks you want on the shelf. Water weighs 1kg per liter or 8 lbs per gallon. That is just the weight of the water. Tank substrate will add to that. So a small 5 gallon tank will weigh close to 50 lbs. Once you know the weight you need to find shelving that if rated for the weight. The the chelve needs to screwed in the wood studs in the wall. Sheet rock or plaster will not support the weight. Most people don't mount the tank to the wall. It its most often on a table with 4 legs. to transfer to the load to the floor.

Do you have HD Gladiator Racks or Gladiator Garage in you area ? These things are cheap and rated up to 2000 lbs per shelves.

the first thing you need to do is to identify the size and weight of the tanks you want on the shelf. Water weighs 1kg per liter or 8 lbs per gallon. That is just the weight of the water. Tank substrate will add to that. So a small 5 gallon tank will weigh close to 50 lbs. Once you know the weight you need to find shelving that if rated for the weight. The the chelve needs to screwed in the wood studs in the wall. Sheet rock or plaster will not support the weight. Most people don't mount the tank to the wall. It its most often on a table with 4 legs. to transfer to the load to the floor.
C656C8FB-2675-48C2-9F8E-9F0911042C16.png

I was thinking of having the rhino racking shelf. the mdf boards are 4mm thick. Obviously I would seal and paint them so no water can damage them and they also have the support bars underneath to stop it bowing. And then I will attach it to the wall so it canā€™t fall over. My fish tank is 70l and then also Iā€™ve got the substrate and some aquarium wood inside. Apparently the shelves can hold up to 200kg per shelf. Do you think this will be strong enough?

We have shelving in our garage which has mdf shelves like this. Anything heavy (eg toolbox) has to be placed end on so that the metal supports take the weight as the mdf was starting to bend in the middle when things were placed in the middle of the shelf. That too was supposed to hold a fair weight, but the mdf doesn't agree.

r. My fish tank is 70l and then also Iā€™ve got the substrate and some aquarium wood inside. Apparently the shelves can hold up to 200kg per shelf. Do you think this will be strong enough?
a 70 liter of water is 70kg. Add the weight of the tank and substrate to that. As long as each shelf is well below 200Kg you should be fine as long as the information of the web is correct. However check the shelving and rack for warping or bending as you load it. it shouldn't warp if you know the tank weight and you are below 200kg.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back