Stupid heater question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Scarab

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Ok...here's a stupid question. I'm a newbie and as you can see below, I don't have a large setup yet with heater, etc. But I'd like to at some point. My question is this...how do you safely set up, maintain, change temperature, and/or replace a heater and/or put your hands in the tank for whatever reason (adding plants, etc.) in a tank with a heater without giving yourself an electric shock?? Is this something I need to even be concerned about??

The heater will have a light on it. If the light is on, don't touch it because it will be hot. If you need to move the heater, do a tank redesign or even a water change, turn all the electrics off before you start. Most importantly, make sure the equipment you get is in good working order and be careful if you buy second hand.

Most heaters include a thermostat so they only switch on until the water is the required temperature, and then they switch off. They work in a similar fashion to electric lightbulbs, except they make heat rather than light.

great...thanks so much for the response. I guess common sense should've told me that I should turn off all the electric :huh: . I feel like an idiot ...lol. But I'm glad to have gotten an answer. Thanks again.

Thats probably very good advice AA, but I have to say, I've never done that and never had a electric shock! The heater should be sealed, if it's not, (look to see if there is any "condensation" on the inside of the tube), then I wouldn't use it anyway.

Certainly if you are going to move the heater, or drop the water level to the extent where any of the heater is above the water, then definitely yes, turn it off and let it cool.

so Lateral...you're saying in some instances when I have to put my hands in there, I don't have to turn off the heater and other electric stuff??

I'm confused now :blink:

What I'm saying is, if you follow AA advice you can't get a shock. What I am also saying, is that in 40 years of fishkeeping, most of those with trops, I've never had a shock casually sticking my hand in a tank.

Your choice!

Lateral Line said:
or drop the water level to the extent where any of the heater is above the water
I just want to expand a bit on this line.

Your heater will have a line on it near the top that says something like "fill to this level." If you do not keep your water level to that point the heater will start using the air around it to operate its thermostat instead of the water in the tank. This means that your water temperature will vary from what planned. For example, if your room is airconditioned you will overheat the water. :eek:

When you do water changes, do not let the water drop very far below this line for very long. If in doubt, turn it off. If the heater is running without water around it it will overheat and crack its glass.

I tell you if you heater is leaking as to give you a shock when you put your hands in it, think about the fish!

I dont think they would be swimming around if that was the case! :fun:

B)

Most reactions

trending

Back