struggling to stay afloat

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

linda4623

Reaction score
:unsure: We recently started a 10 gallon tank for my daughter's birthday. Unfortunately we overstocked and got some diseased fish. As you might imagine a lethal combination. We lost everything but a ghost shrimp and an algea eater. We decided to start over from scratch the right way. We dumped the old water, got new gravel and plants, let it run for two days empty and then started with 2 platies and 3 neon tetras along withour two surviviors. I have kept close track of the levels and watched for disease. This morning one of the neons was dead. Both of my platies are very fat, but one of them hides most of the day except when it is eating it will swim around for a few minutes and then it goes back into hiding. It has no spots or red marks. I am not sure if I have a pregnant fish or what? Please help! :S

possible they are pregnant, they are properly scouting around looking for places to hide their babies. Maybe the algae eater is bullying the other tank inhabitants, does he chase them around and how big his he?

Hi Linda, sorry to hear about your problems. I'm moving this to beginners where more people can see it and offer help.

Thanks big fish for your reply. The algea eater is pretty docile. He's more concerned with sticking to the glass than bothering the other fish. :rolleyes:

Right, now let's see how we can help. Because you restarted your tank it will have to cycle again. I've posted a link that will tell you about cycling. cycling Neons, although very popular, are not the ideal fish for cycling as they are very suspectable to bad water conditions. What algae eater have you got? If you have a plec, then he will grow much too big for a 10 gallon tank. Most probably your neon died due to the ammonia (1st stage of cycling) Don't dispair though, we'll do our best to help you through this stage and any questions you have - just ask.

Yes, it is a plec, but right now it is quite small. Hopefully it won't grow too quickly. Maybe by that time I feel confident enough to grow to a larger tank with it. I just hope the platy is doing all right. I don't want to lose everything again. i know i have to cycle all over. but I prefered that option to spread the ich, fungus, and mouth rot from the first batch. I really think if it could go wrong it did with that batch. It is so disheartening. : :no:

Can you get hold of some filter media or a handful of gravel from an established tank - that will help kick start your cycle.

gadazobe said:
Can you get hold of some filter media or a handful of gravel from an established tank - that will help kick start your cycle.
Yep, I agree. I also suggest to get Biospira. It's expensive but at a time like this I think it's worth it, unless you have a cycled tank to place them in for a month or two.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back