Stringy algae ?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Antoz

Reaction score
656DDDB6-3E54-46E2-9CE7-D1095111730A.jpeg
Hello all
Iā€™m new to forum , I recently set up a small flex 57litre for my little girl .
I used to keep a lot of African cichlids but stoped keeping 6-7 years ago and now went for a nano tropical community set up.

I started the tank a few weeks ago with pure aquarium from day one.
Planted a few plants in Fluval stratum and a piece of Java wood.

Now I got some serious stringy algae in there growing like wild fire :

I have attached pictures of anyone can help with best way to nip in the bum:

The parameter are good
Ph 6.6
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 10ppm

Thanks in advance all

Hair algae is fairly common in new tank set up, especially on wood.

Am going through similar issue with my new tank as well, just basically have to keep brushing off the algae with a toothbrush or similar and syphoning all the algae to keep on top of it until tank and plants become more established, usually does go away or kept under control at worst if maintained carefully weekly.

When plants starts to grow out and become established the theory is these plants will take up most if not all the nutrient which leaves negligible amount of nutrients in the water column for the algae, essentially starving the algae in a nutshell.

Keeping lights on a timer for 7-8 hours daily rather than leaving lights on too long will help as well.

Hair algae is fairly common in new tank set up, especially on wood.

Am going through similar issue with my new tank as well, just basically have to keep brushing off the algae with a toothbrush or similar and syphoning all the algae to keep on top of it until tank and plants become more established, usually does go away or kept under control at worst if maintained carefully weekly.

When plants starts to grow out and become established the theory is these plants will take up most if not all the nutrient which leaves negligible amount of nutrients in the water column for the algae, essentially starving the algae in a nutshell.

Keeping lights on a timer for 7-8 hours daily rather than leaving lights on too long will help as well.
Oh thanks Charlie

Cheers for reply I will try them steps ,

Appreciate the feedback šŸ’Ŗ

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back