Stringy Algae

phantomlink

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I took a look at my Java Fern today, and saw it had quite a bit of algae on it, I dose liquid ferts, I have no co2.  I assume the lights are on too much or can this happen with too much ferts?  To be honest, I dont know how long the lights are on for, I work 12 hours and I come home and they're on and I have no idea when they were turned on.

WIthout Co2 to combat it, is the only way to blackout the tank?  Its in the living room so I can go without the tank lights but there will still be some daylight or will I need a complete blackout for a few days?  Its not on my watersprite or dwarf sag, just my fern and crypt

h0MLdMD.jpg

FfhkJ7t.jpg

That's Staghorn algae mate, low CO2 so maybe some liquid carbon and ferts with N&P, your lighting could be too high.

The lights should have been off all day, I just got home from work.  I'll have to order some Excel and while I'm at it I'll get some Flourish since my fert is running low.

Which other Seachem stuff should I get?  None of my plants besides for the watersprite seem to be doing anything, the vails are still melting/melted same with the Java Fern its been a month or so.  When I do a major waterchange tomorrow I'll cut off all the melting pieces to lower the ammonia, seems to be a cause of the algae as well

http://www.bigalspets.ca/fish/plant-care.html?brand=26&cat=323

If you have vallis the excel will melt it too.

I know the Excel will melt the vails in most situations, I might try a lower dose to start but I would rather get this algae out then keep some melting vails around

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back