string of feces hanging, swollen stomach on my angelfish!

Alexis Hopper

Reaction score
I got my angelfish a little under 2 weeks ago. He’s in a 10 gallon tank with heater, filter, gravel and fake plants. This morning I noticed his abdomen was swollen and he had a red string of feces coming from his bladder. He is still swimming around like he normally does (not sluggish) but I am VERY concerned about the swelling and feces. I looked it up and I believe he is just constipated but what should I do ?! Please help me!

You can fast him. First, feed him a blanched shelled pea and then fast him for 48 hours. Did you feed anything that could make his feces red? It’s not like blood red, right?

You can fast him. First, feed him a blanched shelled pea and then fast him for 48 hours. Did you feed anything that could make his feces red? It’s not like blood red, right?

So feed him the blanched shelled pea first? even though his abdomen is swollen? No, it is not blood red, it's a brown/red. Is this fatal or can it be solved by the pea and fasting? And while I have you, how many times a day should I be feeding him since this is a sign of overfeeding?

The pea will help his intestines move. Then fast. I feed my fish twice a day but just a few pellets/veggies .each meal. It should not be fatal. Do you happen to have a pic to look at? His scales aren’t sticking up are they? If he won’t eat any pea now then just fast and feed the pea in 24-48 hours when he’s hungrier. I always offer first to move things along quicker.

The pea will help his intestines move. Then fast. I feed my fish twice a day but just a few pellets/veggies .each meal
Thank you so much I appreciate it. Do you have any suggestions on where I could get the peas? Or is it just regular grocery store peas that I shell myself? and he should be okay after the fast and recover?

Thank you so much I appreciate it. Do you have any suggestions on where I could get the peas? Or is it just regular grocery store peas that I shell myself? and he should be okay after the fast and recover?
Just get a bag of frozen peas. He only needs one now. After crisis is over, feed him peas once a week to help move things along. I’d love a pic. It’s hard to be sure if anything without it but he should be fine if it’s just constipated.

Just get a bag of frozen peas. He only needs one now. After crisis is over, feed him peas once a week to help move things along. I’d love a pic. It’s hard to be sure if anything without it but he should be fine if it’s just constipated.
I really appreciate your help. I will be home in a few hours from class and send a pic of his current state. and I will get the peas on the way home as well!

The pea will help his intestines move. Then fast. I feed my fish twice a day but just a few pellets/veggies .each meal. It should not be fatal. Do you happen to have a pic to look at? His scales aren’t sticking up are they? If he won’t eat any pea now then just fast and feed the pea in 24-48 hours when he’s hungrier. I always offer first to move things along quicker.
No, his scales are not sticking up and he is moving around regularly and he was completely normal when I fed him last night.

I think he’s just plugged up.
The photos keep saying they are too large to upload! But the swelling has gone down a lot, only slightly swollen and no more stringy feces. I will feed him the pea, keep an eye on him, and have him fast. I am also going to clean his gravel to remove excess left over food.

The photos keep saying they are too large to upload! But the swelling has gone down a lot, only slightly swollen and no more stringy feces. I will feed him the pea, keep an eye on him, and have him fast. I am also going to clean his gravel to remove excess left over food.
Sounds like a plan.

Most reactions

Back