Strange Thing Coming Out Of Guppy Chest

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Gypsy5

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all,

One of my female guppies has a strange wormlike thing coming out of her chest area. She was quiet yesterday but today, in the space of a few hours, a blister type thing appeared on her chest which has now turned into a wormlike thing (both ends are inside the body so it's like a loop coming out of her). I have taken a picture but it's not very clear.

Also her bum is very red and looks like it's been bleeding inside her.

I know there's not much hope for her but I would still like to know what it is. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• guppy.JPG
    guppy.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 850
Sounds like a internal worm that broken through gross.
I would put her out of her misery.
Just want to make sure the worm dosn't have a forked tail.

You will need to medicate the whole tank its internal parasites.

Poor thing bless her.

<a href="http://www.fishforums.net/content/Disease-...Levamisole-Hci/" target="_blank">http://www.fishforums.net/content/Disease-...Levamisole-Hci/</a>

If no clove oil, you can hit her on the head, or cut the head off, not for me, I get a jug of very cold water, add ice cubes till its freezing, place the fish in, takes about 30 seconds, leave the fish for a while in the jug to make sure she passed on.

I can't seem to find any meds that treat internal parasites though. Any recommendations?

I wondered if it had anything to do with the pH of the tank which dipped quickly down to 6.0 from about 7.0.

The wormlike thing doesn't really look like a worm in that it's not moving or anything. I wondered if it could be part of her internal organs?

The anus is very red and bleeding inside and yesterday it was kind of like a corner instead of curving. This thing has grown from a tiny lump to this in a matter of a few hours

I would treat the tank for internal parasites.
Sorry about the fish not nice bless her.

Forgot to say that her fins look like they are rotting away too. Every time I look at her it seems a little worse.

Internal parasites are nasty as they destroy the organs causing bacterial infections.
Did she look on the thin side aswell.
When a guppy has finrot you can bet on your life something else is going on.

She wasn't thin at all, looked normal. She just went quiet yesterday and was hanging at the top of the tank. Looked at her this lunchtime and she was still there but by 6 o'clock the little lump had appeared on her chest. The thing coming out of her is kind of see through and thick.

It really looks like intestines(?). What could cause this?

Quite common in livebeareres seen it alot on here.
Why it happens organ get enlarged and puss through, hard to say.
Any of your fish pruducing long stringy white poo.

A little bit of white thread like poo came from another guppy today but then it went back to normal. All the other fishies were huddled away from her today and didn't seem to want to go near her.

Hubby is preparing the ice as we speak. This is the first time we've done this but know it's for the best. She must be in agony. Wish Mrs Guppy and us luck.

Poor thing.
It awful isn't it.
I would get that wormer if you can it won't harm worming them anyway.
I worm all my fish now and hardly have any problems.
Did you read that link on camallanous worms.
R.I.P.
Good luck with the rest.

I did read the link, thank you. There are no worms protruding from her anus and it's definitely her intestines pushing out.

I have ordered some of the wormer plus and will dose everyone a couple of times just to be safe. She was one of my faves as well, she's been through an awful lot, a real little fighter.

Could cry, foolish woman that I am!

Thanks for your advice Wilder. It's very much appreciated.

I know not a nice death at all, she needs to be put out of her misery, it must be painful.
Sign of internal parasiites are as follows.
Being thin or bloated.
Red inflamed anus to enlarged.
Long stringy white poo, can also be clear looking, even red in the poo.
Worms prutruding from the anus.
The worms can be white but red if they have been feeding on the blood.

OMG that is terrible poor thing. sorry for this :(

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back