Strange Platy Behaviour

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

rahina

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
yesterday I bought four wonderful platies one male and three females. :D I had doubts that the female may be pregnant as two of them were fat and round the male was slim. :sly: so I bput the females in the delivery tank and they seem okay B) and I put the male in the community tank. I don't know it seemed dizzy :/ but few minutes later it started to swim. today I found it laying at the bottom. it seemed dead so I got the net to throw it but it moved . it seems to confine to itself in between the stones. :no: I had a guppy which acted similarly before and now she is okay. Is the male platy being shy? I don't get it please help :unsure:

You need to give us more info on your situation first like;
a. How many gallons are your tanks and how long have they been set up? Do they have filtration and heating?
b. What is the total stocking of each tank at current?
c. How often and how do you go about fish tank cleaning maintanence (like water changes, substrate cleaning, filter cleaning etc)? Do you use dechlorinator?

Most females will be fatter than the males, I wouldnt just throw them in a breeding box without knowing for sure if they are pregnant, it'll just stress em out.

hi, i also had that simliar problem but with my sailfin, i have 2 of them. i did a water change before i left to my friends house and after a week i came back they did what your guppies were doing, laying down and i also thought it was dead and got the net moved it and it was alive. :unsure: i found out it was the water change and when i added new water, it was to fast meaning tempature either increased to high or low and caused ich. im not sure if yours got that as well.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back