The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

TaurineLittle

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Ok guys, I'm getting rather disheartened by whats happening to my fish atm, here is a breakdown of whats happening.

Tank size: 250L
pH: 6.8
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 5ppm
kH: 7
gH: 12
tank temp: 26C

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior):
A few different things which leads me to believe its a mix of things. Whitish shimmer to the bodies of the rasboras and neons, rasboras have white pectoral fins and a few days before the ones past away they swam with their heads against the surface of the water (co2 is stable at 20ppm), neons have white 'fuzz' on their fins/body. Before the rasboras past away they swam like a torpedo, swimming while rolling, not being able to correct them selves properly, lethargic swimming, not schooling properly.
A few other things is that the shrimp are all fine, breeding like crazy, the pleco is pefect, no signs of stress, discolouration or any symptoms listed above and the flame tetras dont seem to be affected as of yet.

Volume and Frequency of water changes:
Weekly 50%

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank:
Potassium nitrate
Monopotassium phosphate
Seachem trace elements
Bio ceramic rings, filter sponge and floss.

Tank inhabitants:
18 neon tetras
16 harlequin rasboras
18 flame tetras 
50+ red cherry shrimp
1 L001 pleco (before you tell me that the tank is the minimum size for this fish, I know and I plan on giving him a much bigger home in the near future)

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration):
Most recent was a Red Lotus and a few Crypts, but those were a couple weeks before the deaths.

Exposure to chemicals:
Pimafix/melafix combo for a week

Ditch the neons, they aren't hardy and I had nothing but issues with them.

I keep loosing rasboras, I upped the water changes to once every 2 days, not signs of improvement on the sick fish. I have found someone who will take them off my hands, he said that he is wanting to try and treat them and I told him he can have all my neons and rasboras, the flames arent showing any signs of sickness or swimming oddly, in fact they seem to be thriving, eating a lot and it seems like they are spawning, playing chasey through the stems of Mayacan Fluvitalis and kind of play wrestling in it. There are too many plants to see if they actually have spawned or not, but if I see fry in the next couple of days I'll let you know.

So hopefully the neons and rasboras will be out of the tank tomorrow and hope the flames spawn in all this chaos.
Thanks for the replies guys!

So sorry TL.  Glad that you seem to have a solution, and I do hope your friend can figure it out.  If he does, can you update us here?

agreed either NDT or a acute bacterial infection. Not something prima or melafix will have any effect against. They will need some good antibiotics if they stand any chance.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back