Strange Cichlid pairing???

šŸ  May TOTM Voting is Live! šŸ 
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
šŸ† Click here to Vote! šŸ†

Magnum Man

Supporting Member
Fish of the Month šŸŒŸ
Reaction score
Assuming that most mid sized Cichlids ā€œcanā€ breed??? If so, what is the likelihood of strange pairs???
I have a female Fire Mouth Cichlid right nowā€¦ long story short, bought at the semi local big box pet storeā€¦ they just came in that day, and the bulk didnā€™t look goodā€¦ I bought a few of the better looking and put in my quarantine tankā€¦ this female is the only survivorā€¦ right now she is chumming with my 3 Blue Acarasā€¦ and next week a school of Cupids will arriveā€¦ Iā€™m not intentionally trying to interbreed them, just curious if she chooses a different Cichlid, before or if I get a few more Fire Mouths is it likely they could try to breed???

They could, but more likely the hardwater firemouth will end up ignored by the growing softwater acaras and cupido.

If they do spawn, chances are the fry won't be viable. If they were, the pet shops would be buried in them.

Actually I donā€™t much trust the semi local big box store muchā€¦ ā€œfire mouthā€ actually kind of looks like what I remember from previous, as a jewel Cichlidā€¦ color was really dark, coming from a pretty dark quarantine tank will have to give it a few days to color up, and get a few more tank mates and look at it closer

I hope it's a firemouth. If it's in the jewel group, get it out as fast as you can, or you will lose the gentler South Americans. Some firemouths throw their weight around and could terrorize cupido, which are shy fish. But not all. I've also had blue acaras make life hard for Geophagines. I rehomed all the acaras.

My rule of thumb for aggression in smaller Cichlids goes:
Lake Victoria tough and nasty;
Malawi next:
Central/North Americans;
Tanganyikans;
Riverine African species next.
non predatory South Americans as the gentlest.

All rules are made to be broken though. Still, it has worked for me, after a few bad experiences. I never mix Cichlid regions, though I sometimes make weird communities with other fish groups.
I really like firemouths. I've been to their habitats, but never fished for them. They're my favourite North American Cichlid. The jewel group are beauties, but they are domineering, fight loving fish.

Actually I donā€™t much trust the semi local big box store muchā€¦ ā€œfire mouthā€ actually kind of looks like what I remember from previous, as a jewel Cichlidā€¦ color was really dark, coming from a pretty dark quarantine tank will have to give it a few days to color up, and get a few more tank mates and look at it closer
post a picture of them and we will try to ID them

thanks, I'm at work right now... will try to remember tonight... got a long busy day today

Last edited:
IMG_5008.jpeg
IMG_5009.jpeg

The biggest blueā€¦ Iā€™m not seeing any dancing, just odd duck is just hanging with the 3 bluesā€¦ but is bossier
IMG_5010.jpeg
IMG_5011.jpeg

I didnā€™t think it looked like a Firemouthā€¦ I just added my angel ( about a 2 inch platinum ) itā€™s not really bothered anyone yet, including the new Angelā€¦ going to be challenging as I can only really work from the top of one of the endsā€¦ but better to do it now, while itā€™s not trying to kill anyone, and before the tank gets too crowded, and fully landscapedā€¦ I havenā€™t use a. net with a 30 inch handle

Took the hollow log outā€¦ the net I have with a long enough handle, is only a 6 inch netā€¦ didnā€™t work well the 1st tryā€¦ donā€™t what to freak the angel out too bad, will try again laterā€¦

Caught the Jewel and itā€™s back in a holding tankā€¦ had to remove most of the decor, and use 2 nets to capture itā€¦ everyone else was terrified, probably from the Jewel, and the chasesā€¦ the smaller blue had some nips on itā€™s tailā€¦ so guessing this needed to be done todayā€¦ and actually everyone else looks to have settled down, with the sunset lighting coming on

Most reactions

Back