Strange behaviour of mollies

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Aniket

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have yellowish orange female molly and halfmoon gold dust male molly.they are similar in size. 3 days ago I kept them in breeding tank. Today i saw male flaring and showing his fins like betta fish do while approaching female. And after some time she grabbed his tail and he grabbed her tail after that both swimming circular. After releasing each others fins male started flaring again and again it happened for few times and then they get normal

post a picture of them coz you could have 2 males that are fighting.
Orange coloured molly is female.her belly is wider and her anal fins are triangular and other one is male.he has linear body and anal fins are horizontal to his body.
Ill post pics of them ☺️

post a picture of them coz you could have 2 males that are fighting.
IMG_20180925_091019.jpg
IMG_20180925_091019.jpg
IMG_20180925_091006.jpg

I cannot tell from the photos what either fish is, gender wise. But how large is this "breeding tank?" Mollies do not like small spaces, and if a male is present with a female, he can easily kill her in small spaces if she does not respond to his advances, or even if she does.

I cannot tell from the photos what either fish is, gender wise. But how large is this "breeding tank?" Mollies do not like small spaces, and if a male is present with a female, he can easily kill her in small spaces if she does not respond to his advances, or even if she does.
Breeding tank is 6 gallon

Breeding tank is 6 gallon

That is part of the problem. The best way to raise livebearer fry is to let the fish spawn in the "main" tank, meaning one that is large enough for the fish in it. Cover the surface with floating plants; these need to be substantial, by which I mean not something like duckweed but more like Cabomba and similar, Water Sprite, Wisteria floating, etc. The fry will readily remain among floating plants, and very few will be eaten before you can scoop them out into their own tank. But that needs to be large as the fish grow, so it can take a lot of tank space.

You have not raised the matter of a breeding net, but just for reference this is not something to use with female livebearers like mollies; confinement like this can cause serious issues for the fish.

My
That is part of the problem. The best way to raise livebearer fry is to let the fish spawn in the "main" tank, meaning one that is large enough for the fish in it. Cover the surface with floating plants; these need to be substantial, by which I mean not something like duckweed but more like Cabomba and similar, Water Sprite, Wisteria floating, etc. The fry will readily remain among floating plants, and very few will be eaten before you can scoop them out into their own tank. But that needs to be large as the fish grow, so it can take a lot of tank space.

You have not raised the matter of a breeding net, but just for reference this is not something to use with female livebearers like mollies; confinement like this can cause serious issues for the fish.
Two mollies gave birth in main tank but that was very time consuming experience for me. Because fries were hidden at bottom stones and it was hard for me to collect them from bottom. Even today i got fries of molly in my tank only 11 found. So i seperated other female

My

Two mollies gave birth in main tank but that was very time consuming experience for me. Because fries were hidden at bottom stones and it was hard for me to collect them from bottom. Even today i got fries of molly in my tank only 11 found. So i seperated other female

As I said, floating plants in the larger main tank is the best option.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back