Strange algae on glass . . .

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

tear-scar

Fish Addict
Reaction score
there's an algae growth on the sides of my tank. The algae looks to be a light green, in the shape of several tiny spots that cluster together. My problem is, I can't scratch it off! Can anyone give me any information on this? I would like to solve this problem mechanically or biologically (ie. I don't really want to have to use algae killing solutions). Any help please!?

I use a blade to remove green algae from my glass..

The green spot algae is normal in a planted tank, and you might need to remove it at every water change..

You can use old razor blades or the green/white kitchen scourers (3M)

I tried:

sponges
algae scraper
tooth brush
(these things work well on brown algae on glass)

Thanks you guys! I'll try the razor.

Will algae eating fish help in future prevention? I wanted to add a farlowella catfish into the tank . . .

razor!????
from like a shaver thing. and take the blade out??

Tednol said:
razor!????
from like a shaver thing. and take the blade out??
Yes !!! Not from the modern 3blade systems :) ..... the old ones which have a razor blade which can be removed.

It should be noted that you shouldn't use a razor blade if your tank is acrylic, it will scratch. I've always been able to rid my (glass) tank if green spot algae with an algae scrubber pad and some persistence.

Well, I used an exacto knife (tank is glass), and it came right off! Thanks guys. Usually the algae sponge works great but . . . this was giving me major problems. :/

I havent got an old fashion razor blade but i have a pencil sharpener razor i can get. will that do?

I think the best thing is a simple single edged razor blade, about 1.5"x3/4", flat, and you don't have to yank one out of a shaving razor

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back