The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

missjeannie

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hey i just got a 70l tank which is currently cycling!
Im a relative beginner (only had one 60l when i was a teenager) so i was interested in some fish like platies, neon tets and guppies but was wondering what sort of numbers i should be getting them in so theyre happy but not overstocked!

Hi
All tetras (neons included) are shoaling fish so they prefer to live in groups of at least 6.
Platies and guppies are not shoaling fish but are still quite sociable and will feel more comfortable in groups of at least 3.
Keeping that in mind I would probably stock the tank like this:
-6 neons
-3 male guppies (if you want to breed then get 1 male and three females but otherwise avoid females)
-3 platies (1 male : 2 females) males will often pester females so this ratio is recommended to reduce stress when keeping most livebearers.

Platies and guppies are quite adaptable in terms of water chemistry and temperature but neons like warm, soft water so this is what you should aim for.
Best of luck with your new tank and welcome to the forums!

Thanks so much for the advice, pretty sure this is what ill be doing :)

I would think again, tbh; guppies and platies like hard water and neons soft, so one or the other is going to be unhappy
confused.gif

Is your water hard or soft?

In my experience guppies and platies are hardy and quite adaptable so long as you avoid extremes so they should be fine in slightly softer water. Saying that, the moderators know their stuff so I'd go with fluttermouths advice over mine lol

I did keep neons and platies together and had no losses for about 5 years but I'd rather they were healthy...do you have any recommendations for a replacement for the neons that would be better?

How big is your tank, missjeannie? I mean, dimension-wise, I know it's 70l
wink.png

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back