Stocking with African Cichlids

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

fatbobsufc

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a trigon 190 which is approx 44 gallons. I will be beginning cycling next week, but am already thinking ahead to when I eventually stock the tank with Cichlids. Most of the Cichlids in my LFS are just over an inch. Does this mean I could get away with around 40 or so fish?

I understand that with Cichlids it is important to add new stock all at once and not to add new fish to an established aquarium to avoid fighting over territory. Does this mean I should add forty fish all at once (they seem to be priced at around a fiver each!) or should I expect that they might breed (I want them to) and leave room for that.

How many fish would you reccommend I add initially? and how could I get around the problem of adding more Cichlids to an established Aquarium?

I have more questions but I think they would be more appropriate as new posts. Thanks in advance! :)

Firstly, what cichlids are you interested in getting?

Most of the Cichlids in my LFS are just over an inch. Does this mean I could get away with around 40 or so fish?

No. You have to go by the maximum size a fish will be, not how big they are when you get them. With cichlids, the 1" per gallon rule does not exist with quite a few cichlids. Mbuna can be well stocked to alleviate aggro levels but most SA/CA's (and africans) are more like 1" of fish per 10 gallons and even more.

I understand that with Cichlids it is important to add new stock all at once and not to add new fish to an established aquarium to avoid fighting over territory.

It's best if you do add them all at once but not necessary. There are some tricks you can do to make addind fish successful. When I want to add fish I do a large water change and move all the plants and rocks around, fill the tank back up and then feed them in the usual corner of the tank and slip the other fish in the other side of the tank.

Does this mean I should add forty fish all at once (they seem to be priced at around a fiver each!) or should I expect that they might breed (I want them to) and leave room for that.

I'm going to assume you want to add Mbunas? If so, I wouldn't add 40 in a 44g tank. I would add 10-12 at most with lots of rockwork for hiding spots.

I am with SMB here there is now way in heck that you could house 40 fish in a 44gal tank. I have a 75 gallon tank and wouldn't be able to do that. in a 44 I would say that you could easily house at max 15 fish.

There is a 1000 gallon tank here in ND at the mall which when it was set-up they put 1000 african cichlids in there, all about an inch long, it is crazy how many of them have lived, and they have also had babies. Really a cool looking tank, but so many fish its insane, imagine the food they go thru. its only been there a year and most of the cichlids are full grown already. Lots of rockwork in there too. I know the guy who set it up and he was thinking that a lot would probably die right away, but that wasn't the case. The whole tank was custom made by the guy, he also used a really sweet filtration system with water flowing up from under the rocks it is really neat.

Most reactions

Back