The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Wills

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Hi again just mulling around a final stocking idea for my Roma 240, I posted this in the NW section but figured it might get more traffic here, so nice and simple (ish),

Fluval Roma 240 (65ish gallon) tank with a Fluval FX5 filter, regular water changes of weekly or twice a week dependent on amount of spare time.

(Fish with a * are already in tank)

1 x Aequidens Diadema *
1 x HRP (male)*
1 x Nic (female)*
1 x Crenicichla Regani
3 x Annostomus Ternetzi*
12 x Columbian Tetras or Bleeding Heart Tetras
3 x Pictus Catfish *(2 of)
2 x L235 *(1 of)
2 x L204

Now the questions I am asking my self is

1. Is that too many plecs? Should I just stick to 2 of one type or 2 of one and 1 of the other?
2. The C. Regani - in the store they are very small and a bit worried that they would get munched down by Acara like my blue tetras did but surely the dwarf pike would defend its self as it is as much (if not more so) a predator like the Acara would be?

Let me know what you think :)

Wills

Looks ok to me, although as you say if the pike is that small you might lose it as a snack, I dont know how large is it?

Otherwise depending on its own aggression level will depend on how well it gets on with the others as it matures, but its always a risk with them, obviously they are less aggressive than the larger species.

Id go with colombians rather than bleeding hearts but it depends which colour you prefer, they are pretty much the same size wise and care wise, the colombians being slightly more boisterous than the BH's.

Plec wise, if you like clearing up lots of poop, I dont see a problem with that many, however, Im not a plec person, so dont know the facts about each species listed. Pictus should be fine, however, if the pike is that small, even they might make a snack of him.

Sorry didnt see the thread in NW.

I'd be tempted to stick to one type of plec and see if they breed. L204 (flash plec) need a veggie diet so could struggle if the other fish need a meatier diet although they are stunning fish.

Thanks Minx, with the small fish I still have 2-3 HRP fry left over, tempted to keep one of them as they grow but see how it goes they are still tiny like under an inch even though they are 5-6 months old :blink: and none of them seem to be getting eaten. Im actually not sure that my FX5 didnt eat the tetras at the moment either as when I first got it I had no intake on it and was waiting on a delivery from Hagen to get one, and I lost my flyer plec to it as well and nearly lost a pictus on the first night when one decided to try and swim up it (as a result he is now called dimwit) but the pikes are about 1.5 inches maybe?

Poop wise, I'm not really that grossed out by it plus Ive managed to get my current to take most of it towards the filter pipe, its not the main reason I'm into fish but I can handle it lol.

Wills

@1.5" I wouldnt think the Acara would eat it, you can only try and if the intake took the pictus it is quite likely the tetras went up there too, did you find bodies?

No just assumed she swallowed them whole because her mouth is huge. The inlet arrived same day as the pictus did so its on now but I was just lazy and was going to put it on in a day or two rather than straight away.

With the plecs Ive not got the kit to consider breeding, the eggs would probably get eaten in the show tank as well. L135 needs their veggies as well so they would probs both be happy on the diet I feed her at the moment I think (peas, cucumber and potato)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back