Stocking Poll, Round #2: I've Narrowed Down the Nanos.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

What Should I Stock 6.6g/25L Tank With?

• Indostomus sp. --- 3-6 individuals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • African Dwarf Frogs (Hymenochirus sp.) --- 2-3 individuals

• Clown Killifish (Ps. annulatus) --- 2-4 individuals

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Sparkling Gourami (Trichopsis pumila) --- Pair

• Betta splendens --- Individual

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Licorice Gourami (Parosphromenus sp.) --- Pair

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Scarlet Badis --- 3-7 individuals

• Wild-type Betta species --- species dependent, Individual/Pair/Trio

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Dwarf Puffer --- Individual

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters

gilltyascharged

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Due to a few technical difficulties (read: me being unable to figure out how to change settings on a poll), I decided to revamp and roll out a new and updated version of my original "Needing Help Deciding on What to Put in 6.6g/25L Tank!" poll.

Tank Information-
  • Dimensions are 16"/41cm x 8.6"/22cm x 11.2"/28cm
  • Temperatures from 68-82 F---68 F being room temp, adjustable submersed 50w heater can easily go higher though if need be
  • Filtration: Either a Marineland Penguin 100B (oversized HOB) OR Aquarium Co-Op sponge filters in various sizes
  • Local tap water runs HARD (19.61-30.82 dH, according to city website), but I also have access to RO water
  • Homemade blackwater extract (oakleaf) on hand
  • Chemical pH neutralizer and increaser, as needed
  • Plants (max 2-5 choices): Anubias barteri AND barteri 'nana'), Java moss, Java fern, Crypt wendtii and parva, Apongeton, Frogbit, Duckweed, Vallisneria, Pothos, Spider plant
  • Substrate is currently a large (1/4 - 1/2"), smooth, light-colored gravel---other options include smooth, natural gravel (<1/4"), and pre-soaked oak leaves
  • While I have various prepared foods on hand, I plan on culturing live food no matter the inhabitants (feeding/dietary requirements are not an issue in my book!)
  • Note: this tank has been up and running for around ~2-3 years now, so is definitely cycled and seasoned, lol. While the nitrate cycle appears to be in order, I still need to perform water testing in order to double-check that everything is doing well. As mentioned above, the tank currently is holding a handful of plants purchased a week or two ago, as well as a single Bronze Cory waiting on an upgrade (providing parents allow, a nice 20g long with some more cory friends!). Air-powered sponge filter has been running in tank for about 2 months, and other than some healthy algal growth everything seems to be doing well.
As with last time, any/all suggestions, ideas, and opinions are welcome! At this point, the only thing keeping me back is my own indecisiveness 🤣

Last edited:
If you can get the water parameters in the range for those licorice gouramis. I bet they'd look amazing I've always been fascinated by the smaller gourami species. I'm hoping to add another tank also (25L). I've been thinking of a sparkling gourami pair in a heavily Walstad-style planted tank and possibly running filterless after it matures IF I can get a correct balance. One great thing about Sparkling gouramis is that their natural habitat is heavily vegetated pools usually with low water movement and oxygen levels so I'm guessing a filterless walstad would suit it well. I think? 🤷‍♂️

Gourami.jpg

licorice gourami is a definte yes:good: from me

You should ultimately be the one to choose, don’t let other people choose for you. Why have a tank if you can’t choose the fish in it?
The poll is interesting. You aren't asking about swordtails or platys there. That's a list of often hard to find, rare and very difficult fish. Most would only be beginner fish for the most motivated new fishkeeper, and it's generally beginners who ask other people to help them choose. I guess you're throwing them out there so people will think about cool fish, rather than bread and butter pet store stuff, but most of those fish would call for serious preparation and a deft hand to keep them from dying in a tank that tiny.

You could have a few pea puffers in there. I have a 10 gallon with peas and they are thriving for 2 years so far. Such interesting little guys.

If you can get the water parameters in the range for those licorice gouramis. I bet they'd look amazing I've always been fascinated by the smaller gourami species. I'm hoping to add another tank also (25L). I've been thinking of a sparkling gourami pair in a heavily Walstad-style planted tank and possibly running filterless after it matures IF I can get a correct balance. One great thing about Sparkling gouramis is that their natural habitat is heavily vegetated pools usually with low water movement and oxygen levels so I'm guessing a filterless walstad would suit it well. I think? 🤷‍♂️

View attachment 332851
licorice gourami is a definte yes:good: from me
I've looked into them a lot, and with some help from the Paro Project have decided that I'd like to try my hand at breeding them some time. P. quindecim is definitely one of the most stunning in my opinion, but I am open to keeping whatever life (or the LFS) throws at me :thumbs:

The poll is interesting. You aren't asking about swordtails or platys there. That's a list of often hard to find, rare and very difficult fish. Most would only be beginner fish for the most motivated new fishkeeper, and it's generally beginners who ask other people to help them choose. I guess you're throwing them out there so people will think about cool fish, rather than bread and butter pet store stuff, but most of those fish would call for serious preparation and a deft hand to keep them from dying in a tank that tiny.

I've really enjoyed fishkeeping in the last four years, and at this point in time, I think I'd like a challenge! Being able to learn more about the husbandry for different species and gain experience in new territories is something that I really like about this hobby. However, if there are species listed above that simply aren't feasible for a tank that small (or without serious accommodation), I completely understand if these options seem ridiculous.

I have nothing wrong with the "bread and butter pet store stuff"---while I quite enjoy my peaceful community species (nothing looks better in a planted tank than a few large schools of small fish), I also know that many of them just aren't fit for life in a tank that small. I have previously kept Betta splendens and the African Dwarf Frogs in the 25L, but part of me wants to explore something a little different. I really enjoy being able to pour all my heart and soul into a project--my parents find the effort and care I put into our current tanks borderline obsessive, with my dad often commenting "It's just a fish!".

From everything I've read about these species, I understand that most (if not all) have very specific water parameters, dietary needs, and behaviors that need to be accounted for. High maintenance species don't faze me--I just want to make sure that I'm doing it right.

You should ultimately be the one to choose, don’t let other people choose for you. Why have a tank if you can’t choose the fish in it?
While I do have a few species that I really have my heart set on, I thought I'd use the poll as a tool to learn more. If someone has more experience or information to offer about why a species may (or may not!) be the best choice, I think that it is better to realize that here rather than make the decision and find myself in a sticky situation.

IF I were to list the options in order of desire, it would have to go something like this:
  1. Dwarf Puffer
  2. Licorice Gourami
  3. Scarlet Badis
  4. Indostomus sp.
  5. African Dwarf Frog
  6. Wild-type Betta sp.
  7. Clown Killi
  8. Betta splendens
  9. Sparkling Gourami
While I find Sparkling Gourami interesting, I've heard so many conflicting thoughts on their care that they've started to fall flat with me. I've kept Betta splendens and African Dwarf Frogs in the past, and I found both really fun! Indostomus and Parosphromenus species will be very hard to get a hold of, and their requirements seem to be the most challenging. Clown killis and certain wild-type Bettas I've gotten the "go ahead" on, but, while attractive species, don't captivate me the same way some of the others do. And finally, we have Scarlet Badis--a species that, like the Sparkling Gourami, I've seen some VERY different opinions on, but is something that I would give an arm and a leg to make work...provided it's humane for the fish.

I've been thinking of a sparkling gourami pair in a heavily Walstad-style planted tank and possibly running filterless after it matures IF I can get a correct balance. One great thing about Sparkling gouramis is that their natural habitat is heavily vegetated pools usually with low water movement and oxygen levels so I'm guessing a filterless walstad would suit it well. I think? 🤷‍♂️
While I personally have never kept them, I think one thing to be aware of with a planted setup is that certain plants won't comfortably tolerate pH below 5-6. I know that Java Fern, Java Moss, and Water Wisteria are all suggested by Paro Project, but here are a few other links to help you along:

https://www.parosphromenus-project....rum/12-Methods/1690-crypts-for-the-paros-tank

You should ultimately be the one to choose
You know what, I ended up taking your advice and decided that at this point in time, I really want to try my hand at Dwarf Puffers. As much as I love the other options, I figured that I would rather have several blackwater tanks to enjoy all the Paros and Bettas to my heart's content. Same thing with killis---if I'm going to (likely, given my current behavior patterns) end up with several, might as well go big or go home ;)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back