Sticky, Sticky Eggs!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Congrats on all the fry NEONCORY Must be great, i want to get some corys. did you have your corys in a species tank or community when the were breeding?

Thanks fatfishman,

It would be great if I have unlimited tank space or these guys is popular and have high demand. Unfortunately, I don't and they don't either.

I do have them in species tank if that is the group of Corys I would like to breed. I did have them on their own tank for a while until I have more than enough frys from them. I moved the adults with many older frys. Although that did not stop them and they did spawn in the big tank once. And they may do it again soon as I notice that they are getting more active.

Anyway, if you are serious about breeding them and try to get as many frys from them, you have to have them in their own breeding tank. Since most of the other fish would like to eat the eggs and frys, even most of the adult cory would eat the eggs and frys also. So not many eggs and frys would survive.
If you have enough fine plants and many hiding places, some do survive sometime but the odds are pretty slim. Probably not much more than in the wild.

And raising Cory frys can be tedious and time consuming. It can be frustrating but at the same time it can be rewarding.

So good luck with your fish.

Thanks fatfishman,

It would be great if I have unlimited tank space or these guys is popular and have high demand. Unfortunately, I don't and they don't either.

I do have them in species tank if that is the group of Corys I would like to breed. I did have them on their own tank for a while until I have more than enough frys from them. I moved the adults with many older frys. Although that did not stop them and they did spawn in the big tank once. And they may do it again soon as I notice that they are getting more active.

Anyway, if you are serious about breeding them and try to get as many frys from them, you have to have them in their own breeding tank. Since most of the other fish would like to eat the eggs and frys, even most of the adult cory would eat the eggs and frys also. So not many eggs and frys would survive.
If you have enough fine plants and many hiding places, some do survive sometime but the odds are pretty slim. Probably not much more than in the wild.

And raising Cory frys can be tedious and time consuming. It can be frustrating but at the same time it can be rewarding.

So good luck with your fish.

Ok thanks alot.

Just one more question what temp and pH was the water in your breeding tank ?

You are welcome.

I guess the batch I sent to IL got there OK. I know it got there because of the tracking. But I didn't hear anything about them from the buyer. Although I sent e-mail to ask her about. I hope it is the case that no news is good news. I mean if there were some problem, I would imagine I hear about or see the pictures. Since I did give the DOA guarantee.
Anyway, I do need to ship out another batch to TX on Monday. And probably take some Today or Tomorrow to one of the store that seem to sold all the C.Melanotaenia I took them there few weeks ago.

Nothing much news about them. Except I collected about 30 eggs 2 days ago and 500+ yesterday. :blink:
I had been shipping out the frys I grew them from the eggs I collected in July I think. I sent to NY, IL, MD, IN, TX, CA and Today I heard the buyer from WI told me that they got there. So far, all made it safely with priority. :good: (knock the wood)
I think I will try to ship 2 more box next Monday or Tuesday before the Holiday Mailing Rush kick in. Beside I have 2 more heaters. Not to mention I probably still have 50 or so Melanotaenia. And now got me 500+ more eggs. And I know I could easily grow 300~400 of them to the 1" in 3 months or so.
So anyway. I just hope other Corys is this prolific and easy to grow.

Every time I send out the fish in the mail, I worry until they get delivered and hear from the person who bought them that the fish got there in good shape. And keep the close eyes on the tracking.
So I sent out the 2 boxes(one Melanotaenia and the other Melanotaenia and Red Cherry Shrimps) on Tuesday with USPS Priority. One to the WI and the other to CA. And Thursday, I heard the person from the WI that they got their box and fish made it in good shape. But I don't hear from the person in CA. And the tracking web say that it is processed at Santa something in CA since Thursday. And finally this morning(Saturday, I see the web say that it arrived at his local PO. So I e-mailed him to ask if he got the box yet. And few hours later, he e-mailed me back that they finally delivered. And the critters made it without problem. Whew. I sure glad that they delivered Today so they don't hold the box over the weekend.
And this was the longest delivery time(4 days). I know the C.Melanotaenia I send is really hardy. But I sure liked to hear the news of delivery in 2 or 3 days.

I have no intention of sending any box with priority after this coming Tuesday until sometime middle or late January to avoid the Holiday mail rush. But I think I still keep send out the Melanotaenia next year also.

Did I mention, I just got 300+ wigglers from the eggs I collected few days ago? :rolleyes: The majority should be 1" in few months. Who knows, I may send them out to every single states sooner or later. Let's see I sent these guys to NY, IL,TX, MD, IN, WI and CA so far.
And the males seems chasing frantically today also. :rolleyes:

I hope I can breed some other Corys like Orange Laser or Green Laser or Duplicareus this easy.

Most reactions

Back