Step By Step Guide - Riccia And Java Moss

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

i've had my java moss 'tie' itself onto gravel, but that's only after a long LONG time having a part of it under the gravel somewhat...I don't know if it's generally supposed to be able to do that.

-Ian

Ill check that out thread out thanks.

The riccia i have fluitains. When cutting it should I completely cut off the new growth or cut half of it off? Also am i right in believing the trimmings will also grow?

yep cut one piece into 20 and you'll have 20 plantlets. just cut it as far down as you need to to make it look right. theres no law to it really you wont kill it by over pruning you'll just have loads of it.

When you trim your java moss, all the clippings go into the garbage right? How can I make my java moss spread out? Will I have to just take it out and redo the entire process? I want to cover my entire substrate, and all my java moss does it grow upwards. Can I stretch it apart, and then tie it down to make it cover more of the substrate?

Isaac

i don't see why you couldn't do that! I have never trimmed mine but I wouldn't throw it out if i did! find somewhere else to use it :)

-Ian

yep you got it. cut it in half and start again covering twice the area. all plants will grow towards the light, java moss will creep a bit but very very slowly. unless you can wait 6 months just split it and redo the carpet.

I've used thread and used your procedure with my java moss. One or two months from now, I'll edit this post, and show you my progress. Is there anyone else who has used this procedure and had results? I would like to see more pictures.

Jimbooo, if you kept letting the java moss grow, would it continue to grow upwards like grass? Or does it begin to grow sideways and get messier?

Here is my poor attempt at using thread to secure the java moss to my rock

Attachments

• javamoss.JPG
    javamoss.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 170
i'd say 80% up and 20% sideways if you know what i mean. your rock looks a little sparse for a full bush effect. correct me if i'm wrong but it looks like the strips of moss on your rock aren't individual threads but rather a few twisted together. for a better coverage literally put each thread of moss on the rock individually and make a kind of spiders web pattern. then strap it all down with the cotton thread just like you have.

if the moss is too tangled it will get algae on it more readily. just a tip

Only the side, which is mostly what you see, is bunched up like that. I didn't care too much about that side, but concentrated on the top, which I did the way you said. What do you mean by 'your rock looks a little sparse for a full bush effect'. Sorry for being dense.

Isaac

just that there are a lot of gaps. remember it grows more up than across so when it's 2 or 3 inches tall your still going to see the rock beneath. if you want the rock covered you'll need to lay the moss more closely together. probably best to leave it like that, wait for it to grow and redo later on when you have more moss to play with.

Okay, thanks Jimbooo. I just wanted to see actual growth that is measurable. Like, it grows so slow that sometimes I wonder if it is actually growing at all. I will let it grow out, and recarpet it again. Thankss.

Is the plastic grid necessary? Or is it optional? Also, i've seen you got it from some sort of crate, but do you know where i could get some sort of plastic like that off the internet?

you need some type of grid/slate tyle or whatever to lay the riccia on. anything water safe will do.

sorry i haven't found anything for sale hence why i improvised with the crate thing.

wow how detailed was that very good thanx but does anyone know where to buy Riccia?..ive brought some java moss on ebay before but tends to fall apart also brought the moss balls and kinda shoved it in this log thing i got did have a bog wood in it but it just wouldnt stop turning the water yellow so against my likes i brought this plastic thing (Grrrrr) its not to bad but i do prefer the real thing (dont know what to do about the bog wood anymore ) anyway some places where to but this stuff would be great help please :unsure:
Thanku clare

ive just seena post of a few places to get plants from but WOW what do i get?...totaly lost here im afraid ive got plants in my tank now but would really like to grow that moss stuff on the bottom but ive just looked at a site green line and oh gosh can someone actually tell me what do get there is too many as i dont know what is what advice would be greatly recieved on this think they can it spoonfeed me ha ha pls help! :crazy:

On another note well same really thought getting this would be good for live barring seeing as ive put my platie in a net cos it looked like it was going to explode well nothing dropped last night shall i leave it in?...i just want babies thats all not personaly just baby fish ill do anything please please tell me what to buy or do ill do it

Clare :/

Most reactions

Back