Steady deaths.... Require advice pls

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

amazingmanc

Reaction score
Hi,

Need help as racking my brains and forums. I'll get as much detail down as possible.

I have a 165lt Aquaone 850 running the standard trickle and a Fluval U2. Got wood and plants, both fake and real. Had platys 4, now 11 due to fry. 2 dwarf gourami (m & f), 4 endlers, 6 green neons, 4 RCS, 2 amanos and rabbit snail. I upgraded the tank from a 90lt end July, kept the trickled filter pads from established tank where bought it. He was running a little UV filter with the trickle. I didn't keep anything from his tank but filter media.

Since started 8 months ago lost only two platies, one of those was a thin scrap of a thing from shop which I presumed was deformed (I had bought 3 and realised had 5 when got home), other was a sudden death. Switched to the larger tank since then (3 months ago) and run a lovely aquarium up until last 6 weeks.

First a platy got a wasting type disease, breathing fast and very thin over time, just hung out in corners until feeding and swam at 45 degree angle. Switched him to my smaller shrimp tank to keep him from others. There a Rasbora got ill and euthanised them both to stop any spread. Hoped that was it. Then female dwarf gourami in main tank got lethargic and eyes bulged, she died. Then male got lethargic and stomach swelled on one side. White stringy poop too. Bought Q tank to separate all ill fish just over week ago so he resided there for 8 days, 7 of which I've been on hol for.

Returned today and he was haVing a white poo and very unwell. I med (ordered a bit ago but was from states) the Q tank to try to save him but he died shortly after. Now another platy I noticed on return has all its scales fluffed out and is thinning and lethargic with wobble when swimming. Q tanked him immediately. He will die.

All tanks had 30% weekly changes with vacs and 6 weekly filter rinse in change water. Only flaws I can think in my routine is the gravel under wood was vac'd rarely and got pretty dirty when I did do it. While filter pads not changed in 3 months just rinsed.

All other fish in main tank ok. Although some fry could be growing slowly, 1cm having been born June?

I'm new to this hobby but like it a lot and care, gutted lost the gourami as they were great fish.

Been dosing with Melafix for last 10 days to try to control any slight challenge and now got Myacin Two but not really used it. Rabbit doesn't like Melafix.

My parameters been ok. Ordered master test kit to get accurate readings. Sticks and ammonia I used always showed 0, 0, 20-30. Ph 8, although did seem higher in last month or so (8.5).

Lots of info there, sorry for the essay but want to get back to stable lovely aquarium rather than constant concern.

Many thanks in advance!! Your always very helpful.

Melafix is crap, it's like taking herbal tea for meningitis, it doesn't do anything for severe issues. The melafix might work ok for torn fins but so does plain clean water.

The platy that has the fluffed up scales has some sort of internal infection causing organ failure. Since the kidneys are not working the fluids are building up, causing the scales to raise. This is referred to as dropsy, a major killer to fish. It will certainly die, I suggest you end it's suffering now.

Your routine looks solid, you don't have to ever change the filter pads until they are literally falling apart as this is where your bacteria live. If you ever remove it w/o proper steps you will likely cause more problems. When replacing filter pads it is better to leave a good chunk of it in with the new pad so bacteria can more easily colonize the new media.

What fish do you have left and can you provide some pictures of the tank and a couple close ups of any ill/sickly fish?

I don't know what's going on here but a possibility is internal parasites. If the first platy that was thin had it, then it is likely to of been passed around. I'd dose the tank with some Prazipro just in case. I wouldn't dose the Myacin unless you are sure it is a bacterial issue, which it could very well be.

Thank you very much for replying. Please see attached, I fed them as they were behaving very hungry and wanted them at the front for these. They take the food in but spit it out..... Is my flake that crap.... Lol

The pics are, first the dead one where we started 6 weeks ago. Then my current Platys. I have 6 neons, 3 Platys, 8 fry, 4 endlers left.

Think I may have to do something as the eating and spitting was a trait of the first. will have to remove all inverts and lower water level if do, but knowing what with is difficult.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    446.1 KB · Views: 90
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    811.3 KB · Views: 93
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    832.6 KB · Views: 97
. They take the food in but spit it out..... Is my flake that crap.... Lol

If you are worried about them not eating, try live foods

I am sorry i dont know much about fish illness, but personally i would do a 90-100% water change. If you are worried the fish are not used to such large water changes, you can do it over a few days, so perhaps 20% first day, then 40% the next till you get to 90-100%. Make sure the water is dechlorinated and the temperature matches what is already inside the tank.

The large water change is in hope that you get rid if whatever is hurting them, or you can get rid of whatever is not allowing them to heal faster if there is something in the water. If i do not see results, i would start to look at medication

Your remaining fish look nice and healthy. The spitting of the food is characteristic of internal parasites, it seems that many live bearers have them upon purchase. I feel it is always a good idea to treat new fish that look a little thin with Prazipro. Praziquantel is the main ingredient and it is a common de-worming med used on cats, dogs, farm animals, fish etc. It won't harm your biological bacteria either.

You might want to perform larger water changes for a while but other than that I wouldn't change much else. If they just don't want to eat then try giving them frozen foods, brine shrimp and blood worms are favorites of many fish species.

Doing 50% water changes and seen no more illness. Will carry on with that and may try Metroplex to try to knock what is left down.

Failing that will set up a UV for a period got a small one, I will replace the fluval for it temporarily.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back