Starting A Small Reef Tank

K_Hedin

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello all,

Well I am looking for something different and the saltwater stuff is always so interesting. Not that I am bored with my 55G and 10G freshwater but another tank is always nice. So anyways, I was wondering if it would be possible to run a small reef tank in a 10G tank. The Petco by me has a killer deal on the Aqueon Deluxe kit for 50 dollars. Although I know nothing of saltwater other then what I have been able to read of the past few days.

So first would it be possible to run a reef tank in a 10G tank with a 15 watt T8 bulb?

If it is then from what I have read you would need to add the live sand and some live rock and wait months before being able to add fish.

Then once it has completely cycled I could add fish but would there be any fish that would fit in a 10G tank?

Would you need to run a skimmer on a system this small and is a system this small even worth it? I would love something bigger but I am low on space and the wife will probably squash this idea anyway but I will convince her sooner or later.

Thanks.

So first would it be possible to run a reef tank in a 10G tank with a 15 watt T8 bulb?

Not a regular reef, unless you are only interested in the most undemanding of mushrooms or are doing a non-photosynthetic tank. Sorgan can tell you all about those.

If it is then from what I have read you would need to add the live sand and some live rock and wait months before being able to add fish.

Live rock definitely - but live sand's not worth it. Just get dry sand and let the rock seed it, or at most get a small sample of live sand (like a cup or two) from a fellow reefer or store if they will sell it to you. You don't need to wait months, especially not in smaller tanks and if you get good quality/cured rock. Usually animals will start going in well within a month.

Then once it has completely cycled I could add fish but would there be any fish that would fit in a 10G tank?

The size is a bit iffy. Small tanks are much harder to keep stable and therefore not a good first step to the salty side. It's not impossible to start that small, but I wouldn't recommend it even though I started even smaller. If you have space, a bigger tank will save you many possible (and quite likely) headaches and run you less risk of losing livestock due to inexperience and environmental instability. Your stocking options in terms of fish are pretty limited in a tank that size. You'd be looking at maybe a small goby or two at most, such as Gobiodon okinawae or citrinus and similarly-sized species.

Would you need to run a skimmer on a system this small and is a system this small even worth it?

I would say not worth it. There are some exceptions, but in general for small tanks you will handle anything a skimmer would by doing regular and reasonably-sized water changes.

(Edited to fix broken tags)

Do you have to use filtered or RO water to make the new saltwater or could I let regular tap water sit in a bucket for a day before adding it and salt to the tank? For such a small tank would it just be easier to buy the premixed salt water from the LFS?

As for better lighting is there a reccomendation on what I could do about that? I have found it very hard to find a 20 inch T5 strip even for my freshwater 10G. Do they make 20" T5 lights for 10G tanks and would it be able to hold a daylight and actinic bulb?

It is suggested to use RO water when doing a reef. I would avoid buying the pre-mixed and just mix your own, there are recent topics around here about unnecessary problems caused by pre-mixed water.

20" fixtures are very hard to find... You could do a CPR Power compact light... It is meant to be used on a sump, but can also be used on a display. They have adjustable legs, I have one on my sump currently. It has 1 bulb, which would be able to support soft corals and lower LPS in my opinion... It's a small tank so you probably won't be wanting most LPS anyways (because of the stinging issues).

AquaticLife has a 2 bulb T5 20" fixture... I'm very unfamiliar with the company though, therefore, I don't know how the quality of the fixture is.

Or go non-photosynthetic :) in a small tank without a skimming less daily feeds would be needed! You would need more water changes however.

Nps isn't for the faint hearted however :) if you wanna know more just ask but TBH if it's your first marine tank I would say a nice softy tank would be much better.

Thank you everyone for the information and suggestions. I will have to give this all a lot of thought. And at some point try and convince the wife that she wants to take care of a 3rd tank. I travel a lot so although they are mine she gets stuck with them.

May be you can check this light wand out, i think it can help you or at least give you some hint:
http://www.fantasyreef.com/showthread.php?t=8146

Most reactions

Back