Starting a fishless cycle

Raechal

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I picked up a bottle of Seamist pure ammonia and decided I would do a fishless cycle for my new 120 gallon. I read the pinned topics on fishless cycling and researched it and it sayd 4-5 drops for every 10 gallons.

I just wanted to hear from people who have done fishless cycles and people who have used Seamist ammonia. How long did it take? How many times do I add ammonia? Once every day or..? Do I leave the filters on and do I remove the carbon? I am still kind of confused about this, but I do think it is a better alternative to making the "hardy" fish suffer. :nod:

the number of drops will depend on the concentration of the ammonia. I don't know about Seamist.

Add it in small drops, taking ammonia readings until you get the level up to 3-5mg/l. Take note how many drops that takes and add that ammount each day until you get nitrites at which point half the daily dose.

Definitely leave the filter on, otherwise the whole thing won't work. It will cycle with or without the carbon, but since carbon expires after a period of time you may as well remove it and save it for future use.

Personally I have never used any of the ammonia products just stress zyme and its always cycled the tank within the 4-6 week mark :/

daza said:
the number of drops will depend on the concentration of the ammonia. I don't know about Seamist.

Add it in small drops, taking ammonia readings until you get the level up to 3-5mg/l. Take note how many drops that takes and add that ammount each day until you get nitrites at which point half the daily dose.

Definitely leave the filter on, otherwise the whole thing won't work. It will cycle with or without the carbon, but since carbon expires after a period of time you may as well remove it and save it for future use.
Okie dokie thanks! I will empty out the water that is in the 120 gallon now (it stinks because I left it in there for like a week with no filter :X ) and I will fill it with new water, put the filter on and add the ammonia with some filter media from my cycled 29 gallon.

I also have to buy a new test kit as mine has just ran out. :no:

It will taken about 8 capfuls to get your 120 gallon to 5PPM ammonia is my guess. I am on day 25 of fishless cycling. I have nitrites and nitrates but they aren't going away yet.

nonot8946 said:
It will taken about 8 capfuls to get your 120 gallon to 5PPM ammonia is my guess. I am on day 25 of fishless cycling. I have nitrites and nitrates but they aren't going away yet.
Okay...I just poured a little in. I have to go to the LPS and get a new testing kit as mine ran out.

Most reactions

Back