Start Up Advice

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Can't say from experience but I am thinking about setting up a tank with Dwarf Puffers. From what I have read malaysian trumpet snails are not a good idea because their shells are too hard and could damage the puffer's teeth
That's what I heard as well. Pond snails are a better size and especially prolific. I think they'd be perfect for dwarves. Ramshorn would be better for larger puffers and botia loaches will eat any snails as they actually suck them right out of their shells so shell density isn't an issue for them

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk

Can't say from experience but I am thinking about setting up a tank with Dwarf Puffers. From what I have read malaysian trumpet snails are not a good idea because their shells are too hard and could damage the puffer's teeth

I believe it is more the design of the snail. I had a dwarf puffer once, and it certainly had no issues with Malaysian Livebearing snails; I though he had cleaned out the 10g tank of them, until I moved him out and very slowly over several weeks a few MLS appeared; I guess a few managed to remain hidden in the sand. But given the dozens there were initially, he got a lot of them.

MLS have what has been called a "trap door" opening, which makes it more difficult for some fish like loaches to get them. I have these snails in with two loach groups and while the snails are not as evident as they are in the other tanks, I do se several of them. My pond/bladder snails do not last in this tank.

We've got the play sand and are working on changing over the tanks, one tank today and the other tomorrow. We were hoping to get the fish over the Easter weekend and are hoping the plants will still develop enough by then to do so, but I'm having trouble finding anywhere local that stocks Elassoma, scarlet badis or clown killifish. We've visited Maidenhead Aquatics, Crawley; Pets at Home, Crawley; Pets Corner, Crawley; World of Water, Crawley; World of Fishes, East Grinstead and Pets at Home, East Grinstead and none seem to stock the three fish at the top of my list at the moment. The fourth fish on my list is a betta, but I was hoping for a multi-fish set up opposed to the solo betta especially with Pete's tank being intended for a betta, so I'm hoping I can find somewhere to pick up a pair/small group of one of the other fish in the next couple of weeks, but it looks like I might be getting a betta instead of my little community.

We've got the play sand and are working on changing over the tanks, one tank today and the other tomorrow. We were hoping to get the fish over the Easter weekend and are hoping the plants will still develop enough by then to do so, but I'm having trouble finding anywhere local that stocks Elassoma, scarlet badis or clown killifish. We've visited Maidenhead Aquatics, Crawley; Pets at Home, Crawley; Pets Corner, Crawley; World of Water, Crawley; World of Fishes, East Grinstead and Pets at Home, East Grinstead and none seem to stock the three fish at the top of my list at the moment. The fourth fish on my list is a betta, but I was hoping for a multi-fish set up opposed to the solo betta especially with Pete's tank being intended for a betta, so I'm hoping I can find somewhere to pick up a pair/small group of one of the other fish in the next couple of weeks, but it looks like I might be getting a betta instead of my little community.

I've no idea on the availability of fish in the UK, but I suspect it is much like it is here in NA, where many are seasonal. Wild caught fish tend to appear once, maybe two or three times during the year, after allowed collecting periods. Tank raised fish would obviously be different. Don't rush into getting this or that just to put something into the tank. When you do get what you want later, you then either can't manage it or you have to get rid of what you initially got.

There is also online fish; again I've no idea what this is like in the UK, but with the fish breeders so plentiful in Europe I would imagine you have some reliable sources. Stores may or may not want to do this, but that doesn't mean you can't, unless there is some issue with importing/customs.

Thinking of the species mentioned...Elassoma is likely to be very rare in the UK, as this is a native Florida sunfish. Scarlet badis (Dario dario) is rare here, being wild caught; also not easy to feed unless you have live foods, I've twice had and lost this species because it either refused to eat or would only eat bloodworms which isn't a good diet. Epiplatys annulatus needs softer water, which reminds me...if you are still seeing these odd fluctuations in GH I would hold off on any fish.

Last edited:
Maidenhead Aquatics can get any fish on "their list". I have seen scarlet badis in my next to nearest branch so they must be on the list. I have also found an article in Maidenhead Aquatics website referring to Elassoma evergaldeii being on sale in Truro so they must be on the list as well.

Maidenhead Aquatics can get any fish on "their list". I have seen scarlet badis in my next to nearest branch so they must be on the list. I have also found an article in Maidenhead Aquatics website referring to Elassoma evergaldeii being on sale in Truro so they must be on the list as well.
Agree. The guys in my local Maidenhead are really knowledgeable and helpful. If you don't know the guys there suggest you ask for the manager. Like everywhere they do employ students who don't have all the same level of knowledge.

Both tanks are now changed to the new substrate, will test the water tomorrow to make sure everything is hunky dory now that everything in the tanks are inert.

I've been researching Elassoma and there are three I can keep for ornamental purposes without a license: evergladei; gilberti and okefenokee according to the list I obtained from the governments website. What I'm struggling with is a consensus on how easy they are to keep, some places say they are for more advanced fish keepers whilst others say they are easy to keep, and when they are available to buy. I don't mind waiting if I can get them but if they're available once in a blue moon I may be better off waiting until I can have a tank large enough for multiple females or even multiple pairs and look into selling the fry. The other two are now off my list, the clown kilifish for obvious reasons (water hardness) and the scarlet bardis because I already have mental health issues and I don't think I could handle the emotional strain of fish with an eating disorder. I do want a betta eventually and I was drawn to a crowntail when we went on our cost comparison trip/go mad and buy everything in Pets at Home trip so I may end up with the betta earlier than planned, which is no tragedy as they are lovely fish, and waiting for a larger multiple fish set up (or multiple larger multiple fish set ups as the case may be.)

Update on the tanks, they appear to be stable and seemingly healthy. Plants are growing so we should be good for fish at Easter. Oh and PH is actually about 7 and was increased along with hardness previously.

I'm still trying to find somewhere that can source Elassoma most people stare at me blankly when I ask (even with the common name) and my local Maidenhead told me my best bet is the internet (still no luck there either). In reference to the previously mentioned article on Maidenheads website, that is from 2015 and I gather from what I've found whilst searching restrictions were tightened in 2016, which may mean they can no longer source them. If anyone can point me anywhere I'd be very grateful as I'm grasping at straws now.

They used to be really hard to find. With more restrictions, they may be impossible to source in the UK...unfortunately, because they are beautiful. Scarlet Badis is the next closest thing afterwards. Those you can find with a little searching, my LFS has sourced them before. Was there anything specific you liked about the Elassoma sp.? Colour, shape, etc? We might be able to suggest something else.

I'm not entirely sure why I like them so much, they're very beautiful and their character calls to me. Part of the allure may be how difficult they are to source, to have something few people have...

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back