Spotted Puffer Fish feeding and housing

TrippieHippie

Reaction score
I recently bought a Spotted Puffer fish (about an inch to an inch and a half) and was told they could be housed in my community tank (Guppies, Angels, female Bettas and a Dragon Fish) and that they could eat the flaked food, freeze dried blood worms and Ghost Shrimp I feed the tank but noticed a day after getting it that almost everyone's fins in the tank except his was noticeably nibbled on. After some research I found they are kind of aggressive and eat snails and live worms and that a well fed puffer will normally leave other fish alone. What do you all feed your Puffers and how often and what have you found that works best as a tank mates and decor?

Green spotted puffers are highly aggressive and should definitely not be kept with and fish with long flowing fins. You could put him with Cichlids and other aggressive fish but you are taking a risk. Keep in mind that they do end up growing to be about 5 to 6 inches. Puffers teeth constantly grow so make sure you feed him crunchy foods like snails, blood worms, krill, and even live Ghost Shrimp. Puffers need a lot of decor in their tank because the are always exploring. A planted tank is preferred.

You should return the spotted puffer immediately, please. I assume the species is Tetraodon nigroviridis. While it is OK in freshwater early on, as it matures most sources suggest brackish water, something none of your other fish can tolerate. Then there is the aggression mentioned above.

I do wish we could somehow get stores to stop giving bad advice just to sell fish, whether they live or die, and usually the latter. You have learned an important and critical lesson, always research a species yourself before acquiring it. This can save the fish, and save you a lot of grief.

Most reactions

Back