Sponge filters

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

**sarahp**

Fishaholic
Reaction score
So I have a sponge filter in the 10g that I have in my office. It makes a continuous noise - I think from the bubbles but it is more of a whirring noise.

Do all sponge filters make a noise or is it possible to get a quiet one??

Is this an internal sponge filter with a motor? Or a sponge filter connected to an external air pump?

It's connected to an air pump. The air pump is ehiem. The sponge filter is generic eBay tat! And maybe that's the problem!

OK, the sponge filter itself, inside the tank, should not be making noise aside from the stream of bubbles. I can hear mine, more in the smaller tanks than the larger that have sponge filters. Adjusting the air flow can increase/decrease this sound. You want to have a decent stream of bubbles though. or the filter will be less effective, so don't lower it too much.

If the air pump itself is producing noise, that is another thing entirely. Some pumps are more noisy than some other brands. Sometimes adjusting the flow (if this is available on the air pump) can reduce or increase motor noise. The substance on which the pump sits can sometimes "amplify" the motor reverberation/noise.

Byron.

Thanks Byron, I think it's the latter. I did move the filter on Saturday night when I was looking for Errol and it is quieter than it was previously. I moved it higher off the sand. So maybe it is just that the sound is being amplified.

May try reducing the air flow, the ehiem does have a variable flow so will give that a whirl.

I use one of these and the outlet is about an inch above the water and its virtually silent, the outlet tube slides up n down so its easy to adjust.
Air-Bubble-font-b-Filter-b-font-Black-Biochemical-font-b-Sponges-b-font-for-aquarium.jpg

That's what I have Nick, I bought it because you said it worked well in your betta tank - no too mo#uch current. I hadn't realised that the outlet could be above the water :blink: thought it had to be in the water to work properly. I shalll try moving it when I do the water change on Sunday.

I use those sponge filters in my 10g, 20g, 29g and 40g tanks. I also make sure the return is at the surface, sort of half in/out, so you create some disturbance as in Nick's video, but still a bit of current down the tank.

I too have had the same sponge filter though just a single sponge rather than a double sponge. It was in my little 5 gal tank for the shrimps, no problems at all. Though must mention I have no idea about what noise it makes as I am deaf so in that case, it never bothered me one iota :lol: :p

It's now what I keep as a backup in case of filter failure. As I now use a filter powered sponge filter.

But anyway, thats a decent little simple filter with a air pump and having the adjustable pipe length to ensure the little plastic tube reaches the water surface makes it an effective design.

Cheap as chips too at only a few quid. Worth having in the cupboard ;)

Though must mention I have no idea about what noise it makes as I am deaf so in that case, it never bothered me one iota :lol: :p

:D

Also I've just noticed all your titles under your name - its like a test in superlatives :p:p

Yep, I am a moderate moderating moderator member, thats me :p

Soon time for a change in that title methinks.....

Cheap as chips too at only a few quid. Worth having in the cupboard
Better yet if you have a canister filter stuff the sponge in one of the trays, That way you always have a cycled sponge on hand in case your main filter fails or you need to set up a hospital tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back