Split from Nmonk's sand topic

cheers 4 the help. 1 more thing tho. i am set on adding sand because i think it looks much better. i have a good few extremely well rooted plants. i was wondering if there was any way of keeping the same depth of substrate if im using a sand and gravel mixture, because a couple of centimetres of just sand on the bottom will look a bit rubbish dont you think?

Depends what you mean by "rubbish". But yes, you can keep plants in sandy aquaria with a deep sand substrate. Read the primer part right back at the top of this thread. Also read some of the other messages, which describe particular problems you may have to deal with.

Cheers,

Neale

Fantastic information again Neale, I`m yet to read your latest article (Archer Fish) in this months PFK but I will definitely be doing so.
I`ve got a sand substrate not very deep about 1/2cm but it is very very fine light coloured playsand from Argos after a time a green "scuzz" forms on parts of the sand I`m convinced this is due to the more finer sand I`m using ? Or is it something else ? I just Gravel it away each week with the water change.
I`d like to use Silica Sand but I was uncertain where to find it ?

Thanks Nick

Nick, thanks for the kind comments. Silica sand can be purchased from garden centres. It's sometimes called "silver sand". Buy the "smooth" grade. It is sold for use with pot plants and such.

Neale

I tend to have a problem with anaerobic bacteria in my 20gallon.

I have a base of tetra complete substrate, with a top layer of 'play sand', its about 2" depth all over the tank
The strange thing is that the bacteria only seems to develop in the centre of the tank?
at the far ends there is not build up?

It is a planted tank, as you said early it can develop under large rocks, which I do have in the tank, and it does build up there :)
I've just been using my planter to run through the sand and let the gas out, but as I've now read here this can disolve into the water and cause problems.
I hoover the sand regularly, as I have a BN and a bulldog plec both are messy fish ;)
Do the plants use the bacteria as a source of food? if so can you suggest a small forground plant with long roots that will use it? :/

I have the exact same problem. I feel it is somewhat temperature and stocking density related, but the trigger is light hitting an unshaded part of the aquarium. Whether or not sand makes the blue-green algae worse, I do not know, but perhaps the bacteria can grow more easily on sandy substrates than gravel (because it is flatter?).

I would try removing the contaminated sand, replacing it with clean sand, and then cover the area with things like Cryptocorynes. My problem is that my Panaque has destroyed any small plants like these, but you may have more luck.

Failing this, floating plants, like hornwort, definitely work. The more hornwort in my tank = the less algae of every type.

Cheers,

Neale

I tend to have a problem with anaerobic bacteria in my 20gallon.

ah!! the unshaded part of the effective part, you maybe onto something there. As the back and the far ends of my planted tank as shaded by broad leaved plants.

as for horntwort thats gonna be a last resort as all the plants I have as flat leaved, ie chain swords, amazon sword, java fern, etc

I may look at some more Cryptocorynes plants.

replacing the sand in parts... hrm might give it a go, as the base was from the old 15gallon tank, so may contain debris left over from there.

Unless you have a highly planted tank, I see no reason to have sand over 1cm or so. Having more just takes up precious water volume (a real pain in smaller tanks), encourages pockets of toxic gas and doesn't really do anything helful at all. Even if you hav fish that like to bury, ie, eels, my two are perfectly happy in layers 1cm thick or so but if they are that bothered they move piles around themselves. Or just bury elsewhere.

I have it that deep as it is well planted, and I have some BIG plants in.
which have a lot of large roots. ;)

Hi Guys

I went and got a new tank tonight a Juwel Vision 180 :D , i would like to go down the sand route but i would also like to go down the planted route as well , now i wont be getting plants right away but will eventually get there , would you advise that i put a layer of pond soil down then some sand ?? if so what depths ?? i plan on taking my time to get this right as i rushed into it a bit with my first tank (5 weeks ago lol), i will be getting a few Cory's to help with stirring the sand up and might also get some snails :)

Cheers

Kev

just a quick tip, its best to plant first.

www.java-plants.com << Cheap quick, you can get ready selected packes too. Get them there :D and first before adding fish. ;)

cheers m8 :good:

iv not done any research into plants yet , im just looking for some easy to care for plants at the moment as i dont intend to go down the co ingection anytime soon, will the lights that came with the juwel be ok , im still a newbie so one step at a time lol

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back