What's new

Splashing tetras in open tank?

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

Zante

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I'm planning a large discus tank, 1200 litres, which will be open because there will be lots of plants growing out of the water, both emersed and emergent, and plenty of emerging wood for bromeliads and orchids..

I was thinking it'd be interesting to have a group of splashing tetras, and all the greenery above water would be an ideal spawning ground for them, but I'm wondering if I'd have to keep putting them back in or whether the thick greenery will act as a "lid" for these jumpers.

I'm planning a large discus tank, 1200 litres, which will be open because there will be lots of plants growing out of the water, both emersed and emergent, and plenty of emerging wood for bromeliads and orchids..
make sure you make a journal on that lol

The greenery will surely act like a lid. But you would have to make sure that attractive spawning places are not too close to the edge. Uncontrolled jumping of fish only happens when they are startled. So if you provide a good home for them I would think it possible, but would expect losses from time to time. More importantly you should research if splashing tetras are happy with the constant high temps in a discus tank.

The greenery will surely act like a lid. But you would have to make sure that attractive spawning places are not too close to the edge. Uncontrolled jumping of fish only happens when they are startled. So if you provide a good home for them I would think it possible, but would expect losses from time to time. More importantly you should research if splashing tetras are happy with the constant high temps in a discus tank.

I usually keep my discus around 28 celsius, which is a bit warm for them, but still within range.

As for the greenery being close to the edge, much of it will have to be, as I will be hanging the plants on the edge of the tank itself to have the roots in the water and the rest above, but it will be quite thick with peace lilies, philodendrons and similar plants, so there should be a continuous canopy acting as a lid.

That for the back edge. For the front edge, it will be clear of any obstructions, as I also would like to see the fish inside ;) so I expect they'd be less keen to hang around the front. The tank will be 1m front to back anyway, so plenty of room to fall back in, and I will be in the room for the entirety of the photoperiod, as it will be my home office.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back