Spiking mysteriously

Koda

Fishaholic
Reaction score
My tank has been fine and suddenly the nitrate/nitrites have gone bonkers.My test strips don't show ammonia but I'd guess that's high as well.It's a 10g tank with one medium calico fantail and a few shrimp.I do regular water changes.When I tested the water,I did an immediate 2g water change and later did about a 50% change and the levels are still sky high.I usually rinse the filter in tank water but recently rinsed it in treated water.Not sure if that hurt anything or if it's time to change the filter.The water has a rather creeky smell.Is that a sign that it's time to change filters?

I am anxious to get this under control,especially since I am very fond of the fantail.

Thanks for any help...

Koda

My guess is either the filter, or the gravel. Do you vacuum regularly?

GodricPuffer said:
My guess is either the filter, or the gravel. Do you vacuum regularly?
I do use a vacc but I'm not sure how effective it is.Not sure if my air pump is powerful enough to really make it work very well.On the other hand,when I used it yesterday I stirred up the gravel quite a bit and didn't see any floating debris as a result.I have about 8 ghost shrimp and they don't let much get by them.Busy and greedy little creatures they are :p

Koda

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back