"species" Coral Tank

xxBarneyxx

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
Just looking in another recent thread about sun corals on here where someone posted a pic of a tank that is packed with sun corals that looked really cool. I have been into keeping marine tanks for almost 2 years now and was reading up on them for ages before and its only just occured to me that I have never seen a tank that is set up with just one type of coral growing in it.

Just wondered if anyone has every seen anything like this or has pictures. I can imagine doing something like this in a nano with a fast grower like xenia or GSP could actually look pretty cool (just picturing a nano with the back and side walls covered in GSP or Xenia and a massive covering over the rockwork).

my local petshop had an Acropora tank but it consisted of a bunch of different types of Acropora corals. I have a nano with xenia and daisy star polyps in. They are spreading over the rocks and sides of the tank. It looks ok but the tank needs to be cleaned coz I haven't done anything on it since the middle of last year.
I have seen anemone tanks. They were full of anemones and there were tentacles everywhere with a few clownfish swimming through them.

i went to another LFS today and they had a tank FULL of xenia and sun corals, looks great might do one like that my self, incase you havent guessed im already going for arguably one of the prettiest corals available.

the sun coral :lol:

Well its funny you should mention this, I am hoping to set up my lionfish tank soonish and I was thinking of keeping ricordea's only in it too, I think they are so nice with some gorgeous colours. I thought it would look cool :good:

Yeah I agree with Colin there, A tank with plating and branching Acro's makes for a stunning display.
BigC

I was lucky to see one of my reef club member's tanks. He has an acropora tank and it's even won tank of the month on reef cenral :hyper: :hyper:

He even has an achilies tang in it :drool:
*i want one of those.

11211.jpg

loads of sun corals in there.

i myslef prefer acro and monti tanks tho

topImage.jpg

but i reckon mixed tanks look most natural

i saw the sun coral set up (which i think barney was speaking from) before, but it was only a corner of the tank instead of the whole tank.

zoa tanks or mushroom tanks are more common. just google images and there'd be a few like this one,

IMG_0109.jpg

Nah man, go with the all LPS tank and prepare for coral warfare :)

Actually on the natural reef, it's quite common for a genus of coral to dominate an area and drive others out, almost like competing deciduous forests vs coniferous forests here on the surface.

Most reactions

Back