Spawning Pineapple Swords

PunkRock050

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
One of my Pineapples is really realy FAT so im almost positive shes full of babies. I was just wondering how long it will be until she drops her fry? Shes been pretty fat for about a week. How many should she drop, and does she do it all at one time? How many of those fry would live in a tank with about 4 other female swords and a male, and some anachris and hornwort? I may get a breeder net for them. Thanks for any info!

It usualy takes swordtails 3-4 weeks to release the fry. It depends on how old the female is to tell how many fry she will have. Usually they have up to 30 fry but bigger and older swordtails have more fry. Usually not very many babies will survuve with other fish but some will if they have plenty of hiding places. Only the strongest fry will survive.

Yep if you want quite a few to live it may welll be worth getting a net breeder for them, I usually wait for the female to spawn then scoop the babies into the net, a lot of people place the female in the net before she gives birth but it is an exact art, too soon and the shock will cause her to abort the pregnancy too late and the babies will be all over your tank ;) usually the morning after a spawning you'll find a good number by disturbing the plants/bogwood / other ornaments, a few may survive on there own but certainly not as many. Good luck!

Well nevermind I guess she wasnt pregnant. She stayed fat for a couple weeks but now she slowly thinned down, and there are no fry in sight! I guess she was just a little 'irregular' :lol:

How long do the swords usually have to be before breeding?

What coulor are these Swordtails as i have i male who is lemon,red,orange with a black stripe onhis tail???

Most reactions

Back