Sparkling or croaking gouramis?

According to "Exotic Aquarium Fishes", they are one and the same. As for behaviour and stuff - they're cool, but you should ask Julie about them - she has two that she adores!

I do have two croakers I adore, thanks cation!! :D :wub: I also have a little Sparkling Gourami, so I can definitely tell you they are two different species. Sparkling are Trichopsis pumilus, and Croaking are Trichopsis vittatus. Often Sparking Gouramis are called Dwarf Croaking, and things like that, so there is quite a bit of confusion. In fact, Sparking stay quite a bit smaller - mine is maybe an inch long, and my croakers are about two. They are some other slight differences too, such as the shape of the head and tail. Overall, I can see why they would be confused as they look quite similiar, but it drives me crazy when people say they are they same because they ARE different. :p :S

Thanks! :)
(I was hoping julie saw this. :lol: )

I just bought 3 sparklers, but I think 1 is a croaker.

He's alot bigger and has darker colors. And his tail seems a bit longer. He could have gotten mixed in in from the distributer. They just got them in. I didn't even notice the difference till they were in my tank.

I really need a digi-cam, I would love for you to see them. :/

They are SOOOOOO cute. Love the blue eyes. :wub:

EDIT: What are the ones in your sig? :dunno:

juliethegr8t said:
Overall, I can see why they would be confused as they look quite similiar, but it drives me crazy when people say they are they same because they ARE different. :p :S
Oops. :*)

It's an old book, what can I say? :dunno:

Awww I'd love to see them too. Either way, sounds like you got some great fish, they're just wonderful. I love the blue eyes too - makes them look so alert and happy!! :D :wub: It sounds like you might have a croaker. How big are they all? If one is significantly bigger, you might be right. Is his tail pointed? My sparkler has a round tail, and the two croakers are pointed - they are the ones in my sig. :nod:

cation - I totally didn't mean you. :p I just mean people who are so sure that they are the same fish and will not recognize them as both. Not the people like you who read misleading information.

The 1 is about 1.5" and his tail is starting to point. He is darker in color.

The other 2 are almost an inch, with round tails.

At the store, they were labeled sparkling. I think one must have slipped in the shipment. I was the first person buying them and asked for larger ones, but only one stood out from the rest.

So I'm pretty sure I got 2 sparklers and 1 croaker. I'm very happy with that. :nod:

I was looking for these since March.

Julie, do you ever hear them croak, or is that a breeding thing? :dunno:
Blue eyes and they sing. :hyper: They're little Sinatra fish. :lol:

Oh and the book I just checked, "You and Your Aquarium", by Dick Mills, has them both listed as pumilus. :grr:

:rofl: Sinatra fish!! That's so awesome, and fits them well. Yes, mine croak constantly. They wake me up sometimes they're so loud!! I believe I have two males though, so that is why. They circle each other and flare their fins, while undulating (good word!) their bodies. :flex: Very neat stuff. If you ever find another croaker, grab it and you'll hopefully be able to hear/see it. Neato stuff. :wub:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back